cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unprofessional opinions on the Sigma 150-600mm?

gomiphi1
Apprentice

I'm shooting on an EOS-R. I've got an EF adapter. And I'd like a zoom tele with some reach. I'd like it to take crisp photos through the range. And I don't want to take out a mortgage to get it.

So, I'm looking at the Sigma 150-600mm DG OS HSM Contemporary. I was originally looking at the sports. But I read that the contemporary is more versatile in action, and a bit lighter. But does that come at a cost to image quality?

I intend to shoot some city views, nature/wildlife, and some sports for the high school next door.

Anyone with experience using those lenses? Or suggestions for alternatives in the $800 range? Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome!

Well, I am a retired (so now non) professional wildlife photographer, although I will make sure my comments are not unprofessional! 😊

I owned the Sigma Contemporary version, and used the Sports version of this lens, both with DSLRs and the R-series MILCs.   TBH, there is not much difference optically between the sports and contemporary versions - the main differences are in build where the sports is much heavier but with weather sealing and stronger materials - and that is not surprising, as it's built for the rigors of professional use.   I would be happy to use the C version for work as I baby my gear and don't subject it to dust and moisture without protection.

I shot for some time with both FF and APS-C DSLRs and the Sigma (C from now on) behaved beautifully, and I found the same thing with the FF R-series bodies: R5 and R6 MILC variants that I use, via the Canon EF-RF adapter.  I have not used it for landscape, especially in the confines of the city - I would tend to go for wide angle lenses to get the FoV, but that is your creative decision.   While I have not used the EOS R body, I would expect that is should be much the same.  The behaviour of the lens IS and optical quality are just as good.

R6, Sigma 150-600c@600mm, f/6.3, 1/400sec, ISO-3200R6, Sigma 150-600c@600mm, f/6.3, 1/400sec, ISO-3200

There have been issues raised about focus pulsing, and back or front focus with the lens used on the EOS R7, but it has been pretty much established that this is a function of the R7 and not the lens - and, in fact, those issues were not limited to this lens.

I don't live in the US, but for a used lens I referred to KEH.com website and they come in at about $800 and have a warranty, FWIW.

The other lens I would consider, but it will be more expensive, is the Sigma 60-600 Sports.  I had it along with the 150-600c and sold the latter because the 60-600 has a much greater focal range and, while more expensive and heavier, it is a brilliant optic and is a much more all-in-one solution.  I have used that on both DSLRs and R-series MILCs.

R6, Sigma 60-600@72mm, f/5.6, 1/800sec, ISO-200R6, Sigma 60-600@72mm, f/5.6, 1/800sec, ISO-200

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

March411
Rising Star

Great overview Trevor!

I use the Sigma 60-600mm that Trevor has mentioned and it is also a fantastic lens but I would place it into a beast category. I have used it all day but with the assistance of a monopod.

I would add one thing to Trevor's recommendations and that would be to try and purchase/rent the Sigma dock to update/check the firmware of the lens. When I moved to MILC my Sigma did have a racking issue but with Canon tech supports assistance we found it was caused by an old firmware version. Once updated the lens performed as well as any of my RF lenses. I will also note that depending on the battery/body the lens will perform differently. It responds much more rapidly on my R3 then my R6 MkII. 

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm looking at the Sigma 150-600mm DG OS HSM Contemporary. I was originally looking at the sports. But I read that the contemporary is more versatile in action, and a bit lighter. But does that come at a cost to image quality?"

I am generally not a fan of reviews or You Tube and prefer to rely on my own observations. I am fortunate to have owned or used all of the so-called super zooms. Starting with the very early models that usually went to 500mm.

The best one on the market today isn't either one of the Sigma offerings, S or the C, and if I was to buy today it would  be the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. It's just a tad bit better than any other super zoom currently available.

Although I currently have five super zooms the one I prefer for  myself is the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens. As to its "versatility" that solely depends on your physical strength and condition. I use mine all day without notice. I use a Black Rapid strap so it hangs off my shoulder when not in use. Now if you are a diminutive type person I am sure you will find it a bit heavy so consider that but all these lenses are big and somewhat heavy. It's just the way it is. And if that's a problem you probably need to find a different hobby. 

I am used to carrying heavy photographic gear and generally have two 1 Series cameras both with heavy and heavier lenses. I am 77. My eleven year old grandson uses one of my 1 Series camera with the Sigma C lens on it.

It all depends on the individual. Go check out the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 its the best choice  considering weight and performance. Make sure it is the G2 model as the first model isn't nearly as good.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

I bought a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary for use as a decent general lens for hiking when I didn't want to take my larger and heavier Canon glass.  I was very surprised at the results from it, the first four images below are from the day I bought it and gave it a quick test.

All of the images were captured using this lens with a 1DX III body and none were at low ISO, the lowest was at ISO 1,000 and the last hummingbird was at ISO 10,000 so even with DPP doing its usual processing to reduce the impact of noise the lens still provided good sharpness and color.  I have ended up using this lens a lot more than I expected and I have been very happy with it.

For HS sports, available light may create some issues but that will be true of any lens with the aperture range of these "Super zoom" lenses.  I use a Canon EF 400 f2.8 for a lot of high school sports but it weighs a lot more and costs 12 times as much making the Sigma an excellent value when conditions are within its shooting capabilities.

The Sigma 150-600 has been on a lot of hiking trips with me and has always worked well.  The last photo is from my first hiking trip with it on a typically cloudy dark day around Cosby in the Smoky Mountains forcing the 1DX III to ISO 32,000 for a standard exposure.

Rodger

ISO 1,000ISO 1,000ISO 6,400ISO 6,400ISO 3,200ISO 3,200ISO 10,000ISO 10,000

ISO 32,000ISO 32,000

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements