cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity R5 to Ipad Air (5th generation)

Richie22
Contributor

I have been able to connect my Canon R6 (firmware version 17) to my iPad Air (5th generation) RAW files after many hours. For now it is working well. Minor point - is it necessary to have to re-input the cameras Wifi hotspot under iPads settings every time you reconnect?

However, I am having great difficulty doing the same with my R5 (firmware version 17). Initial contact is made via the cameras WiFi hotspot and iPad, I input the password, not too long thereafter Err 65 appears with a message that LAN has been disconnected. I am not even able to register this camera in the Canon Connect App.

I have looked at the various comments by others on this site, however have not yet found a solution?

I was hoping to use my iPad rather than my laptop on a photo safari trip I have coming up in Southern Africa. 

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Recently, there have been a few posts from others claiming connection challenges with their R5's and iPAD.  The commonalities are firmware 1.7, iOS 16.x and Canon Connect v3.0.19.

I am using Android and thus far cannot reproduce this behavior with my devices.  I can only provide my observations.  One of the things I have seen mentioned is using "Device Nicknames" to name a device.  I don't use this feature.  My R5 C uses model number with the last few characters of its wi-fi adapter's MAC address,  My 6D2 uses a slightly different naming convention.  I checked this morning.  Its wireless profile is saved in network connection on my mobile device.  My R5 C's is not.  Both cameras are saved in the Canon Connect App's connection history though.  Wireless profiles are typically cached Windows, MAC, iOS and Android after one successful connection is made. , yet I don't see my R5 C  However, if I enable it's Wi-Fi, I am confident its broadcast will appear and connect.  

The only solution I can offer.

Reset network settings on your camera

Do not use a device nickname

Check for and delete any saved wireless profiles in iOS

Forget the saved device connection profile in the Canon Connect App

Perform the paring again

Enable wi-fi / Bluetooth on the camera

Start the Canon Connect App

Enter your camera's model

Return to the camera and select phone for the connection type

Paring should occur

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the feedback, however I have tried all of these unsuccessfully

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What about just connecting via USB-C. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Sounds like a great solution, however can you please advise the procedure.

Use a USB-C data cable. If the camera didn’t come with one get one from Amazon. 

Plug into camera and iPad. Turn camera on. 

Go to the Files folder on the iPad. You should see the camera listed. Select it and you can download the image files. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Many thanks. For some reason the File Folder has not got the camera listed. Possibly I require to provide permission for the link. I will keep looking.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does your iPad have phone service?

Also, is your iPad configured to automatically connect or reconnect to select Internet connections? If so, then disable automatic connections.  Smart Devices with phone service seem to have a tendency to drop the camera connection if it goes idle and reconnect to the phone service provider.  This seems to occur because the smart device is looking for an Internet connection.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No it is not. Thanks for the feedback

Have you disabled automatically connecting to wireless networks?

Are you able to establish a Bluetooth connection?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements