cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Canon EOS Rebel T5 to my Android phone to upload videos

Astron01
Contributor

I'm trying to find options on what I can do to upload videos from my Canon EOS Rebel T5 to my Google Drive on my Android phone. This DSLR model is unable to connect to my Android phone. So I was wondering if you help me.

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is there an SD card reader dongle available for Android phones?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

How does the process work for the dongle?

Connect the reader dongle to the phone and insert the SD card into the reader. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Would there happen to a SD card reader dongle compatible for a Samsung Galaxy S22?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

No dongle available for this I am aware of.  Some (very few) devices have a memory slot, but the added step defeats the benefit. (micro SD)

The T5 uses .mov format for video.  This is not supported natively in Android so its going to require conversion, or a 3rd party app to play back these videos.  At that point. you might as well bring the files onto a PC or MAC, convert them and/or upload to google drive.

VLC Player for Android is probably the safest app for playback.  Its going to be a multi-step process no matter how you do it.

shadowsports_0-1678207292741.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

No dongle available for this I am aware of.  Some (very few) devices have a memory slot, but the added step defeats the benefit.

The T5 uses .mov format for video.  This is not supported natively in Android so its going to require conversion, or a 3rd party app to play back these videos.  At that point. you might as well bring the files onto a PC or MAC, convert them and/or upload to google drive.

VLC Player for Android is probably the safest app for playback.  Its going to be a multi-step process no matter how you do it.

Hi Rick - I'm not an Android user, but when I searched Amazon I found a bunch of SD card readers that connect to the phones. Won't they work?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Will the VLC application help for uploading videos on my laptop and smartphone?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi John,

While I think you can use the card reader to play videos back, I do not think you can transfer them to internal storage or Google Drive.  For that, a computer would likely be needed.  I'm going to try it when I get back home.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

With iOS it can be done. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements