cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Canon EOS Rebel to Macbook Pro

RobCramer
Contributor

I can't get my computer to register the camera at all. It's plugged in and turned on. I don't see the camera in Finder, Photos, or other photo editing programs that I have. I've tried every port, I've tried turning the camera on after and before plugging it in, I've tried restarting everything. Nothing will tempt my computer to recognize the camera. What do you think might be happening here? Do I need a driver? Could it be the cord? I'm also using an adaptor: a regular USB to lightning. 

Thank you for any suggestions,

Rob

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You state Lightning. Are you trying to connect to an iPad?

If you connect the camera to your computer with a USB cable start the Image Capture application and see if it sees the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Maybe lightning isn’t the right type. It’s the rounded edge ports on newer MacBook pros. I did try Image Capture. It wasn’t registering. 

It’s USB-C. Some USB-C cables are not data cables, just charging. Verify your cable type. Do you have a different computer-cable pair you can try?

Is your Mac running Venture ( macOS 13)? There are permissions you need to authorize when an accessory is first connected. Go into System Settings->Security and see if anything is flagged as needing to be selected. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I’m suspecting that it’s the cable. I have two of them and I tried them both to no avail. My computer runs macOS 12.6. I’ll purchase a new cord and see if that helps. Thanks!

@RobCramer wrote:

I’m suspecting that it’s the cable. I have two of them and I tried them both to no avail. My computer runs macOS 12.6. I’ll purchase a new cord and see if that helps. Thanks!

Be sure it is a direct connection.  No adapters!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Exactly which camera model?  The use of port adapters has been known to interfere with communications with Canon cameras. 

Make sure the camera is configured to use the USB port, not Wi-Fi.

I think it’s just called a Canon EOS Rebel, and I don’t believe it has WiFi capabilities. 

@RobCramer wrote:

I think it’s just called a Canon EOS Rebel, and I don’t believe it has WiFi capabilities. 

The name of the Rebel model should be on the front of the camera.  If you could, use a smart phone to take a photo of the front, get the side opposite the shutter.

True, the older models do not include built-in Wi-fi.  But many of the older models had USB ports that used different communication modes.  This is why the model is important.  We should be able to tell you where to look in the menu system.

image.jpg

 I just found the user manual. 

Announcements