cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer (Win7) won't detect camera (5D ii)

sandra2001
Apprentice
I have been using the cord that came with the camera to download pictures from the camera to the computer. The last successful batch was at beginning of this year. But today when I try to download prom photos, the computer doesn't detect the camera thus it doesn't trigger EOS Utility or Windows image download. If I manually open EOS Utility to import images, it is stuck in "pairing over WiFi/LAN".

I checked a few things: the PC USB port seems working as it detects a flash drive; the cord is working as the PC detects another P&S Canon. What could be the issue? Is something wrong with the camera or it is a software issue? Thanks in advance for your help!
3 REPLIES 3

@sandra2001 wrote:
I have been using the cord that came with the camera to download pictures from the camera to the computer. The last successful batch was at beginning of this year. But today when I try to download prom photos, the computer doesn't detect the camera thus it doesn't trigger EOS Utility or Windows image download. If I manually open EOS Utility to import images, it is stuck in "pairing over WiFi/LAN".

I checked a few things: the PC USB port seems working as it detects a flash drive; the cord is working as the PC detects another P&S Canon. What could be the issue? Is something wrong with the camera or it is a software issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

I have no idea what the cause of your problem is; you probably have to give us more information. The usual first question is "What has changed (hardware? software? operating procedure?) since it last worked?"

But it's absurdly easy to get the problem off of your critical path while you search for the answer. Just use a card reader. A card reader is cheap, fast, and easy to use, and it doesn't run down your camera battery, as direct download does. Frankly, it's hard to think of a circumstance in which a card reader isn't the better choice.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

sandra2001
Apprentice
Nothing is changed. Since it has been working I never got a card reader. I was trying to get help to have this issue solved quickly to download the prom pictures in time before being on road again this morning. I ordered a card reader after I posted this one. Thank you anyway.

It sounds as though you have wi-fi transfer enabled either in the camera or in EOS utilty, if this the case then it would stop the transfer by cable function working.

Announcements