cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing color of the screen on EOS R5

Icedragonrkrh
Contributor

Just curious if anyone else has thought about the convivence of being able to change the EOS R5 screen information to RED, instead of the usual white?  I shoot quite a bit of astrophotography and it would be great if Canon could come up with a firmware update that would allow me to change the color of my screen.  I use a red light for everything else when shooting at night and it would be nice to not get a white-blast from the screen in between exposures.

15 REPLIES 15

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Icedragonrkrh,

We appreciate feedback on updates customers would like us to make to our products and services. We have a team that documents and handles customer feedback. I have already alerted them to this post, but if you want to contact them directly in the future they can be reached by going to our website HERE and selecting Feedback in the top left corner of the site. We do take customer suggestions and feedback into consideration when we are updating our products and processes.

We are not notified to future software, firmware, or hardware updates prior to them being officially announced by Canon. If a firmware update is released for the camera it will be available HERE. If you would like to be notified about updates you can also set your email preferences in your Canon account to receive EOS News.

Thank you, Hazel_T, for a quick response!!  I did as you suggested and went to the "feedback" section of the webpage.  One can only hope  🙂  There are a lot of astro-shooters out there that would find this very useful and perhaps open up a bigger market for already excellent camera.  Love the R5! 

I also have a T3i. There is an option to do a screen color change under the first wrench in the menu.  If they can do that in a T3i, they should do it on the T7i shouldn’t they?  And there is no mention anywhere in the manuals, ads, web site that screen color change has been deleted. That is WRONG, Hazel. It makes me wonder why and if I should sell the T7i and start over. This option may not be important to Canon Developers, but i need this color change option to see the screen better. On the T3i, it has been on screen color 2, but I occasionally change it. It is an important option to many of us!. I occasionally change it when the shot and set up needs it. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I often shoot at night, and find the LCD menus to be hard on the eyes.  I have brain stormed with the idea of buying a hood for the LCD, and adding a sheet of red clear plastic to filter it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Great idea, Waddizzle, but I am looking for a more permanent solution, and one that doesn't mean more stuff to drag around with me.  LOL Many of the sky/star apps that I use on my phone offer the ability to use "night vision" - turning the screen info to red, so I see no reason why a top-tier camera company cannot apply the same tools to make the same thing happen.  We are not the only two people that shoot at night.  This could be a big selling point in the battle for #1 in the mirrorless battle!!

Canon does sell cameras specifically designed for astrophotography.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Back in the Day the Canon EOS 600d and 650D bodies had red lettering as an option for menu displays but not all of the display indicators.  I agree that for times when one wants to work in the dark (literally, and not figuratively!), then red is great for maintaining our night vision.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Someone needs to make a red-tinted screen protector.  Everything being sold is clear.  That is what gave the idea for the lens hood and tinted plastic.  But, that could be a little loose and flimsy.  I like the idea of having a hood, though.

Well... perhaps, but not necessarily a great thing if one is composing via the LCD at the back.  In that case it's going to tint the image itself.  I am thinking of shots like the northern lights, shooting the moon near the horizon etc.  I think it would be great if they just added the option for red coloured text to the display options - then we wouldn't have to buy solutions to make it sort of work.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements