cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards write protect switch is set to lock

Vijayinfy0406
Apprentice

I have an EOS Rebel T6i, which i bought during end of November 2018, Exactly after a year or the warranty ends, i started facing the issue as "Card's write protect switch is set to lock". This issue happened when i was shooting the pictures on a celebration time by end of January 2020. i did not had a chance to use the Camera and tried again during March with the new memory card and was facing the same issue. Since the pandemic started i did not thought of sending the camera for repair, but i started sending the camera two weeks before for the factory service center (Costa Mesa, CA - 92626) and received the camera today and had labels stating "circuit board was broken the memory card could not be recognized. the main pcb assembly was replaced. Product functions were confirmed." i do notice no fix was done to the camera as i notice the same issue which i received before but i was charged $194.09. Please advise on how should i proceed further. Is there a process to raise a dispute in such a way to get the issue fixed in the camera without paying any more. Your thoughts and suggesstions are welcome.

Please guide me on how to proceed further.. Awaiting your responses eagerly.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. 

My recommendation is to contact the repair center and talk with a customer service representative. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

This repair cost around $200 for fixing the issue. Spent $800 on Canon and feeling it's not that worth as the issue started as soon as the initial warranty expired. Hopefully should not face any more issues hereafter.

@Vijayinfy0406 wrote:

This repair cost around $200 for fixing the issue. Spent $800 on Canon and feeling it's not that worth as the issue started as soon as the initial warranty expired. Hopefully should not face any more issues hereafter.

I agree.  You should contact Canon regarding your repair.  Your experience sounds rather unusual.  

You have suggested that you sent the camera in for repairs.  It was returned with a diagnosis, and a report of what repairs had been made.  This is not how the repair process typically works.  

Typically, Canon will contact you with a diagnosis, seeking your authorization to perform repairs.  Once repairs are made, the item is returned to you with a repair guarantee, which you either did not notice or do not have.

If you have just received the camera back, then you should still be well inside of the repair guarantee period.  On another note, be sure to only use full size, UHS-I SD cards.  Never use the micro-SD cards that need an adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements