cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon t6i missing power door switch, won't power on

abishur
Apprentice

I have a Canon T6i that won't power on, looking into the usual suspects I noticed that the switch on the batery compartment is completely missing.  Does anyone know if that would stop it from powering up?  If the switch was normally closed and depressing the switch opened the connection then loosing the swich shouldn't keep the camera from powering up, but if it is normally open then I'm out of luck.

Is there anywhere I could purchase a replacement cable that the switch is integrated into or any way I could bypass the switch?

I would hope a canon repair shop could do it, but how much would they charge to replace a $5 cable?

6 REPLIES 6

Ray-uk
Whiz

Without the switch actuating then the camera will not power up. If you are confident enough to take the camera apart to replace the switch then why not take it apart to see what the problem is, it may have just been pushed out of position.

I wouldn't recommend bypassing the switch because this could cause problems. It is possible that you cannot buy the switch/cable assembly because often the body casing comes as a complete assembly with cables already affixed so you would need the appropriate assembly, probably costing much more than $5.

Easiest way is to take it to a local repair shop and let them sort it out.

I opened it up and sure enough the switch is attached to a flat ribbon cable labeled E125.  Looking down into it, it looks like the left side has been ripped off the pad taking the pad with it so there's nothing for me to resolder it back to.  If I can work out where the trace goes, I can solder a jumper wire from the switch to the next compent and then tack the switch into place to get it up and working again (assuming there's nothing else wrong with it)

I would just disable the switch so the camera is always on.  Just remember to not pull out your memory card while a photo file is being written to it. 

I can't think of any other problem it would cause. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I would just disable the switch so the camera is always on.  Just remember to not pull out your memory card while a photo file is being written to it. 

I can't think of any other problem it would cause. 

That's a bit of a non sequitur, isn't it? The problem the OP is having is with the battery door, not the card-slot door.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Sorry, I thought both the the battery and the memory card were behind the same door on a Rebel series camera. (it is on my SL1) 

Mike Sowsun

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi abishur,

Thanks for checking in with us!

We do want to evaluate the equipment in person before providing a price quote, but if you send the camera to us, then we will provide you with a free repair estimate. If you decline the repair, then we will send it back and cover return shipping as a courtesy.

The repair options will vary depending on your location and are subject to change, so if you decide to send the camera in for service, I would suggest that you email to get the latest repair details for your area:

eosdigitalsupport@cits.canon.com

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements