cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T7 stopped working as webcam

ZS
Contributor

I have happily used the Canon Eos Rebel T7 as a webcam for the past two years. A few weeks ago, all of a sudden it stopped. It still works fine as a camera on itself, but I dont seem to be able to connect to my computer anymore. Its not showing as an availble camera in zoom anymore. I noticed that the cable was a little bent at the connection point and thought maybe that has an effect. So I bought a new cable. But still not.
I since also have a new laptop and installed the canon driver. When I open the driver it only shows the option for a wireless connection, which for some reason I havent been able to work out either. 
Any tips would be appreciated. 
Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

Im sorry, Im a little bit of a dummy. What steps do I have to take with the start menu?

Im a bit of a dummy. Could you explain more what I should do with the start menu?
Thanks

@ZS wrote:

Im a bit of a dummy. Could you explain more what I should do with the start menu?
Thanks

I think he is wanting you to see if there is a EOS Utility 2 launcher in your start menu, which there should be. Click the chevron to the right of the "Canon Utilities" entry of the start menu. It will pop open and show you Canon programs.

Canon Start Menu-1.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I indeed found a different utility exe. Under the EU3 folder.
Now I get this window. What should I do with it next?

Eos Utility Launcher1.jpg

@ZS wrote:

I indeed found a different utility exe. Under the EU3 folder.
Now I get this window. What should I do with it next?

Eos Utility Launcher1.jpg

Okay, Progress.  

• Wi-Fi is enabled in the camera.  It needs to be disabled.
  • Your USB data cable is either bad or you have a USB power cable.
  • Your camera is still turned off.
  • The T7 actually needs EOSU 2, not EOSU3.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Okay, Progress.  

• Wi-Fi is enabled in the camera.  It needs to be disabled. -> It shows on the camera as disabled
  • Your USB data cable is either bad or you have a USB power cable. -> Im sure its the right cable. It previously worked just fine. Im wondering if the port inside the camera could be damaged.
  • Your camera is still turned off. -> Nope.
  • The T7 actually needs EOSU 2, not EOSU3. -> Going to check  and try that right away!

ZS
Contributor

The files don't contain EOSU 2, only EU3. Does this mean I need to download another driver?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yes i do. Plugged in with USB, turned on and connected to power source.”   

Power source?  Red flag!  What power source?  If all the pieces and parts are not made by Canon, then disconnect them and set them aside.  Retest it on battery power alone.

In fact, retest the connection without the external power source, even if all of it made by Canon.  If have not mentioned trying different cables and USB ports, then try that, too.

Announcements