cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 Freezing Up Intermittently

llehmann
Enthusiast

Anybody else having this problem with the Canon R6 freezing up. It usually starts with the camera not focusing. Its also becomes none responsive to mode changes. The on/off button doesnt work. Opening the battery door shuts it off... but still doesn't fix it. Pulling the battery out usually fixs the problem right away. But again... not always and sometimes it take a few battery removals to get it back up and running. 

This has happened while shooting both photo and video. It happens with different lenses. It happens with different memory cards. I can't recreate the problem on command. The camera works 99% of the time. But at least once a wedding shoot, over the period of 6 hours, It freezes up!

In the video below... I was attached to the Ronin gimbal. But it's happened just shooting photos and without the gimbal. Plus, when I open the battery door and try and turn the camera on/off... it still doesn't work. Has nothing to do with that.

I was on firmware version 1.4
I updated the firmware this week to version 1.5.0.
This problem has been happening for a long time... 8 months. Camera is less than a year old.

Again, at last nights wedding... it froze. 

Here is a video that I recorded when it happened.
1. Focus isn't working. Both back button and touch.
2. Display freezes up. You can still see the audio working.

3. On/off doesn't work.

4. open battery door... nothing works.

5. Pull Battery

145 REPLIES 145

Definitely not GPS i never use it, my R6 mk2 even has it disables right out of the box.

Make sure your Bluetooth is also disabled, too, when you are not actively using it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the firmware having to do with the AF system, that plagues all the Canon mirrorless cameras. Plenty of reports across the product line. I See plenty of attempts across the forums to be helpful, but they just add-up to repetitive advice that doesn't solve the issue. Can't force it to happen on demand, it just happens when it's not convenient and the actions leading up to it vary. If I can't provide steps for Canon to reproduce the problems, I sadly don't see how they can lock onto a fix.

jmontygo
Contributor

I've been having this problem sporadically and it seems to always happen after I've shot Video. If I shoot a couple two minute videos and then try going back to taking photos it will completely freeze my R6. Turning the camera on/off doesn't resolve it and I have to remove and reinsert the battery to get things working again. My camera is on the latest firmware, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm reaching out to Canon to see if there are known issues. The Camera isn't even a year old so it's frustrating having this happen right in the middle of a shot.

dnadalin
Contributor

Happens with the R5 too, even with the latest firmware, though they fixed something as it happens less often.

It's not related to GPS (oof), Bluetooth (off), Card (Sandisk CF or SD), Lens (3 different Canon RF) or battery (multiple Canon). It happens with viewfinder or LCD screen. It's not just because I use BBF, I've also reverted back to shutter button and had it happened. I've had it happen when changing AF modes.
Seems to only happen when AF is involved and doesn't require shutter actuation which means no card writing is going on. With the latest R5 firmware I hit it once every few thousand instead shots instead of a few hundred shots. I primarily shoot wildlife it various outdoor lighting conditions.

I can't reproduce it on demand, which is the frustrating part. It's been reported that sending it to Canon gets it returned as no repro if you can't provide the steps that cause it.
I've given up on this forum as Canon doesn't respond and the replies from others generally amount to telling us to turn off features. If that's the solution (it's not) then I should get a rebate for every feature I'm forced to cripple.
I'm fairly convinced it's a bug in the firmware having to do with the AF system.

So is there any forums that seem to know a fix. It's very odd that one of the camera YouTubers or sites are talking about it , while it so prevalent. Is it a case of just living with it?. I literally just got a r6 MK2 and it did the same thing on the first 39mins of using It

jrea4658
Apprentice

Same here, Canon R6 brand new with a rf 20-70 brand new as well. I only do video and the problem has appeared only when I used face detection. It has never done that with single zone AF yet. I'm very mad because it ruined a first look video and it makes me look like an amateur in front of my client when I told them the footage is doomed... I paid more than 5000$ for this camera and the lens. This is insane.

The frustration is very real. It would be nice if Canon owned up to design flaws in the R5 and R6 system and offered to do something about it for anyone who spent thousands to upgrade to their new tech. 

Absolutely. It has been over two years now. I saw the problem within 2 weeks of purchase and there is no resolution yet. The local Canon support changed the RF EF adaptor and the problem was not seen for some time, but now it is back.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I will repeat the comment that I posted prior to the comments by two others (who by the way should be posting their own threads - it gets very confusing dealing with multiple contributors) who may have different characteristics in their configuration and use of the cameras.” 

If you have a similar issue but did not start this thread, then you should start a new thread for your issue.  There is only one thread on this issue, so it looks like an isolated problem.  Do not create multiple threads for your issue because that violates forum rules.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements