cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R 10 exports same image info with two different dates

VictoriaJZ
Contributor

I have a new Canon R 10 and took some pictures today [4/10 roughly 10am-12pm] - I opened up the card on my computer to import the images and when I looked at the list view it says IMG_6551.CR3 yesterday at 10pm and then IMG_6551.xmp Today at 1:34pm - I checked the camera itself and its Date/Time is 04/10/23 and an accurate time [in other words I'm writing this at 2pm and camera has the same time].  First, do I need to import the sidecar items?  I'm using Lightroom Classic.  Second, why is the RAW image showing as being taken yesterday and the sidecar .xmp showing as today  - looking at the pics themselves, I took them at around 10am but the import says it was Yesterday at 10pm.  

[I did go in to check the camera itself = for some odd reason it said 4/9/23 and Samoa time, which I have never been at.  I have now changed the info to be correct - 4/10-220p in Chicago but I had already set the date time a week ago - ]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

So the question has been answered.  The camera is not creating the .xmp sidecars.  Its something you have installed on the iPAD.  You don't need them and they can be deleted.  When traveling, I often copy the days worth of shots on my memory card to a PC.   I might name the folders day1, 2, country, city or similar.  This helps when you get home.  I know I was in [location] on a given day and it can help when sorting.  This also creates a back up while you're on the trip.  I then have images saved to multiple cards, and the PC making the chance of my loosing memories about zero.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

rs-eos
Elite

I'm in Central time zone myself.   I belive Samoa is 16 hours ahead of Central.   So 10 AM Samoa would end up being around 6 PM Central the prior day.

Now that you've correctly set the time zone on your camera, you may still observe timestamps to be different than Central.  I _think_ RAW files may store dates in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks but I'm more concerned about the fact that the RAW image has date of 4/9 [incorrect] but sidecar file is correctly dated.

and secondly, can I just import the RAW without the sidecar?  I honestly don't know what it is anyway.

In Adobe Lightroom, as with other non-destructive RAW workflows, RAW files are never modified.  Instead, sidecar files are used to capture changes/edits you do to those RAW files.

I still believe that the RAW images would store times as set by the camera.  And that time could be in GMT (i.e. unless you are actually in that time zone, it would be different than your local time).  Whereas whatever software you're using to edit your images would be creating the sidecar files and thus that would show local times.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@VictoriaJZ wrote:

"and secondly, can I just import the RAW without the sidecar?  I honestly don't know what it is anyway."

As for the XMP files, your camera is not creating these. Canon embeds its editing data in the Raw CR2/CR3 files so you should normally only be seeing a CR3 on your SD card. So whatever program you are using to download them with, I assume it is Adobe LR, is creating the XMP, for whatever reason. However, unless you are editing on the SD card with LR, which you shouldn't do, you do not need those XMP sidecar files. As mentioned, XMP files contain editing info so as not to disturb the original Raw file. Canons DPP imbeds editing recipes in its Raw files, when saved, so there will be no sidecar, but non Canon Raw editors make sidecars of various types.

Newton

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

opened up the card on my computer to import the images and when I looked at the list view it says…

Are you reading the EXIF data or the file directory folder?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have not yet imported them, just moved them off my Canon == I'm reading the info in List View but when I did Get Info it was the same == see att. - it appears to me that the xmp file may have been the time it was moved from the SD card to the drive [see 6551] and may have been 134 PM == but the image was taken actually today at about 10:00 AM -- I took the same image with my iPhone -- so on the Canon the CR3 was taken today at 1004am = and the xmp file imported probably as shown, today at 1:34p - do I need the xmp files at all?  These are unedited images just brought in from an SD card, no changes in t hem at all.

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 6.32.42 PM.png

It is my habit to move the switch on the memory card to write protect before putting it in the card reader on my iMac. The Finder program on the mac and I guess maybe on the iPad will add files to speed future indexing and sometimes those files will confuse a camera until the card is formatted in the camera.

The Apple photos app seems to me to work well other than that. The Apple photos app can display some of the meta data from the CR3 file including the original date/time and time zone offset.

The Apple photos app will in some circumstances create an XMP file on macOS and I guess maybe on IOS on the iPad: https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/export-photos-videos-slideshows-and-memories-pht6e157c5f/mac

The XMP file created by photos.app is an XML text file. It contains any metadata that photos.app does not know what to do with or that photos.app wants to save separate from the image data itself.

On an iMac, Linux PC or maybe even on Windows, one may use exiftool to read the contents of the xmp file. https://exiftool.org/  , but a command line is needed and I do not know how to get a command line on an iPad.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The camera does not create .xmp (sidecar) files as mentioned previously.  There is software you have installed on your MAC that is set as the default file handler for .CR3 files.  When you..  Import, move, or copy them to your machine that default application is doing something with them.  Image Capture doesn't create them either.  

When you click on one of the .CR3 files, what application does it open in?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you = these files were shot with the R10 and then brought into my Photos app on the iPad by a card reader [was traveling and didn't have my MacBook Pro == then exported or transferred [it's been awhile so am not clear] - I would like to just trash the xmp files if they aren't needed == I'm really not yet working with them = will be using Lightroom Classic when I do.

I haven't yet tried to open a CR3 file - I have a Monterey MBP and will check into that today when time = right now I'm hoping to get some order in the pics before I import into LightroomClassic [trying to move from my first love, Aperture] = appreciate the help

Announcements