cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel XT - Images not downloading on Mac with Sonoma

njanzer
Apprentice

Hello,

I have an Canon EOS XT and I hooked it up to my MacBook Air with Sonoma 14.1.1. It wasn't working so I looked up some videos and went to download the software. They did not have software for Sonoma 14.1.1 so I randomly downloaded the software for Monterey but that didn't work to move the photos. The software installed and worked but it I couldn't download the image. I tried another version of the software and that also didn't work. Any help you could give would be amazing. I really like the camera so I really want to figure this out. Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

In all honesty, the recommended, simplest, fastest and most reliable method is to do the following:
1. After turning off the camera, remove the card
2. Insert it into a compatible CF card reader - likely this will have to be a reader that can plug into you computer.
3. The computer should see the card as a disc drive and allow you to copy the images to wherever on you machine, using the operating system.
4.  When complete, after confirming the files have copied, remove the card, plug it back it back into your camera
5.  Using the camera's menu system, format the card clean. Do NOT delete the files, this will leave broken clusters in the card and eventually create issues reading the card.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

In all honesty, the recommended, simplest, fastest and most reliable method is to do the following:
1. After turning off the camera, remove the card
2. Insert it into a compatible CF card reader - likely this will have to be a reader that can plug into you computer.
3. The computer should see the card as a disc drive and allow you to copy the images to wherever on you machine, using the operating system.
4.  When complete, after confirming the files have copied, remove the card, plug it back it back into your camera
5.  Using the camera's menu system, format the card clean. Do NOT delete the files, this will leave broken clusters in the card and eventually create issues reading the card.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Just bought a card reader online! Thank you for the advice. Yeah I was trying just about everything and I think this is the best way to go. I really appreciate the help!

Thant should work as it is not camera dependent. Good luck.

cheers, TREVOR

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

On a Mac, you don't need any other software. Plug the camera into the Mac with a USB cable, and run Image Capture App. It should recognize the camera.

What is the download speed like compared to using a USB card reader Kevin?  Glad you know the Mac - I'm a Windows person!

cheers, TREVOR

Pretty snappy for me.

I should note that initially nothing happened when I plugged in my T6S on Sonoma 14.2.1. I ran image capture, and the camera showed up so I hit the three dots and selected Photos to open up when I plug the camera in:

Untitled.jpg

And now Photos opens just fine again.

Unfortunately, that didn't work. I think its because its kinda an older camera. I just tried again but nothing :(. Thank you for trying though. Really nice of all of you! 

Have you, or can you try my method?

cheers, TREVOR

Make sure it is in PTP mode and not PC communication.

Untitled.jpg

click here to view the gallery
Announcements