cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R6 MK II - Hot Pixels or Stuck Pixels ?

azvm
Contributor

Hello to everyone,

I have bought a Canon R6 MKII about 6 months ago.

And i notice some red dots on a pictures with some long exposure 5s to 10s and iso around 400/800.

I have done sensor cleaning and manual cleaning to see if they go away, but they only reduce the brightness and size, and now i see white and red dots, small but a lot.

I attach the image after the cleaning.317A4223.JPGzoom_300.jpg

Can some one give me some opinion ?

Thank You/ Kind Regard's

Vitor

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

My bad eyes do not see any red dots.  But I do not doubt they are there somewhere.  Maybe the forum’s image filtering and processing cleaned them up.  ???

A dead giveaway for “hot pixels” is that they will always appear in the same place in every shot.  If they move around, then you are probably looking at sensor noise.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I strongly suggest that you stop trying to clean the image sensor.  Your camera should still be under warranty after six months.  Contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

azvm
Contributor

Hello Waddizzle,

Thank you for your replay.

As you mentioned that the upload, could change the images, here is a link to the same, you need to view it a 100%, and the spots are localized on top left side.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TKTwqkQV9s2HbLn056hLcVLOUZaAga0q?usp=sharing

Thank you,

Vitor

Peter
Authority
Authority

Normal. Canon has a dark frame feature called Long exposure noise reduction. It has been in every EOS since D30 to deal with the problem you have. Activate that and your problem with hot pixels will be gone, but you will increase the time x2.

If you see hot pixels at short shutter speed, use the sensor cleaning method or just let the raw converter remove the bad pixels in post. Make sure you shoot raw, because it is way harder to remove bad pixels for raw converters if the image already is demosaiced.

azvm
Contributor

Thank you Peter, i have upload one more couples of images, you can check them now.

Nothing unusual in your other samples.

Have fun with my raw file from 6D https://kameratrollet.se/allt/hot-pixlels.CR2

Yes, you have it Peter and very worst, but my camera is 6 months old, yours is ?

So... I think mine at your age (camera) will be much worse....

I have two so I don't know which one it was. The oldest I have is from 2013. I think heat is the biggest problem. (Edit: I checked the serial nr. It was the second 6D from 2018)

I don't have any issues at shutter speeds faster than 1 second. At longer shutter speeds I just use Long exposure noise reduction. It doesn't just remove hot pixels but also amp glow. Take a look at this thread https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/EOS-R3-Green-cast-in-edges-of-the-fra...

And this is from my R6 at ISO 3200 and 8 seconds. I didn't have Long exposure noise reduction turned on. Some false positives from the lights, but take a look at the ground.

Skärmbild från 2023-10-30 12-44-20.png

The next day. Long exposure noise reduction turned on. darktable only found three hot pixels in the whole image. I can't find them. ISO 3200 and 4 seconds.

Skärmbild från 2023-10-30 12-50-26.png

Peter, 

Thank you for your explanation. All you cameras are out of warranty, right ? And i notice there big problems.

You use LNR or LENR, but for now i dont want to use it, in your case i will use it, not now, on a brand new camera.

In my case i know is very low, but the camera as 6 months only, and is on canon warranty.

So i return now to canon, or i wait to the near end of the warranty to send it ?

Regard´s

Vitor

Announcements