cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R6 Autofocus - switch from eye tracking (people) to single-point / non-servo?

runbei
Contributor

Am I missing something. I'd like to be able to assign a button to switch the R6 from eye tracking Servo mode to single-point autofocus without Servo (focus on a point and stay focused there while I re-compose). Hugely useful for quickly switching between tracking people and photographing objects - which I have to do all the time

Of course, limiting focus options to eye tracking and single-point doesn't work, because pressing a button to switch between them doesn't turn off Servo follow-focusing.

My question: is it possible to assign a button to do this - or must I assign each case to a Custom settings button? This seems such an obviously desirable option!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings, runbei

With the EOS R6, you would need to assign a specific button to the camera to have it perform the function of switching over to eye detection from a focus point and a button to toggle between one shot and servo. You may refer to the following link with information on how to customize the buttons on the EOS R6 camera.

https://cam.start.canon/en/C004/manual/html/UG-08_Custom_0030.html#Custom_0030_3-3

In the meantime, I have submitted your feedback for consideration and may be incorporated in future updates. Please note that decisions to incorporate a particular camera design are made by our engineers and product designers in Japan, based on a number of factors. Consumer demand, technological limitations, and customer feedback are all taken into consideration.

View solution in original post

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have assigned similar scenarios to the C1-C3 buttons.   C1 is set to single point continuous focus high-speed continuous, with animal eye tracking, C2 similar but for human tracking, C3 generic tracking.  Otherwise my camera is set up for single point, single focus, one-shot for other settings.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings, runbei

With the EOS R6, you would need to assign a specific button to the camera to have it perform the function of switching over to eye detection from a focus point and a button to toggle between one shot and servo. You may refer to the following link with information on how to customize the buttons on the EOS R6 camera.

https://cam.start.canon/en/C004/manual/html/UG-08_Custom_0030.html#Custom_0030_3-3

In the meantime, I have submitted your feedback for consideration and may be incorporated in future updates. Please note that decisions to incorporate a particular camera design are made by our engineers and product designers in Japan, based on a number of factors. Consumer demand, technological limitations, and customer feedback are all taken into consideration.

Thank you, NatalyaP and Tronhard. Both options make very good sense. I'm embarrassed to say that I now do remember watching more than one video that explained this. At 80 I can still take photos and video and remember the words to "Good Night, Irene"; I just can't remember anything more recent than 30 years ago. Cheers!

NatalyaP and Trevor have both put you on the right track! One of the reasons I like the R - RF series is the lens ring, so I will offer up another solution that I rarely see mentioned.

I use the lens ring to switch between face/eye tracking and fine single focus point for one shot situations. It's just easier me to find the ring as apposed to a button. I programmed the focus point selection button (I think that's what it is) to toggle servo on/off. It's right beside where I rest my thumb, so it works out great. The only other mod I have made was to set C1 for BIF (servo, tracking, 1/1200th, ISO 800, etc.). Most of the time (I shoot perched birds, insects, and flowers), I'm in single fine AF or eye tracking, so my needs are simple and the default buttons and dials do what I need. It makes it hard going from my 5D mark IV, which is heavily modified. I just like the R5 & 6 the way they are, so I didn't modify them as much. So far so good 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have assigned similar scenarios to the C1-C3 buttons.   C1 is set to single point continuous focus high-speed continuous, with animal eye tracking, C2 similar but for human tracking, C3 generic tracking.  Otherwise my camera is set up for single point, single focus, one-shot for other settings.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Love the sayings in your signature, Trevor. I'll add, "A good picture must be eye-sweet." And, "Hang a picture on the wall, and if you still like it after a week, it's good enough." Both by Haanel Cassidy, head photographer for the Conde Nast magazine publishing empire in the early 1950s. I knew Haanel when he was in his seventies and had turned his hand to biodynamic gardening.

Announcements