cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R10 Custom Functions Menu tab missing

lucy3
Contributor

I am seeing the manual and tutorials which display a Custom Functions menu tab, but mine just has the Camera, AF, Playback, and Tools. It is missing the Custom Functions and Star one which are shown in the manual.

I need the Custom Functions tab to retract the camera lens, which is not retracting.

11 REPLIES 11

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@lucy3 wrote:

I am seeing the manual and tutorials which display a Custom Functions menu tab, but mine just has the Camera, AF, Playback, and Tools. It is missing the Custom Functions and Star one which are shown in the manual.

I need the Custom Functions tab to retract the camera lens, which is not retracting.

Which mode are you in? Long shot, because I don't own the R10, but you may need to be in Av, Tv, etc. before those menus will be available.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Wow thank you, I see the menu in other settings now! I have the Retract Camera Lens on power off enabled, but the lens is still not retracted all the way. Is that supposed to happen? 

@lucy3 wrote:

Wow thank you, I see the menu in other settings now! I have the Retract Camera Lens on power off enabled, but the lens is still not retracted all the way. Is that supposed to happen? 

So it is retracting, just not all the way parked? As Rick asked, we need to know which lens you are using and if adapted (RF=>EF), which adapter.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

It is the lens that just came with the body, not a separate lens. Is that the same for everyone?

@lucy3 wrote:

It is the lens that just came with the body, not a separate lens. Is that the same for everyone?

The EOS R10 is an interchangeable lens camera so your lens is removable and you can use other RF lenses. The procedure for detaching and attaching lenses starts on page 62 of the advanced users manual. Since it is mirrorless, it's commonly referred to as a "MILC" (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera). As best I can tell, the only lenses that come with your R10 as a "Kit" are the RF 15-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM and the RF 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM. Since these are zoom lenses, I don't think the camera can retract them like on some prime lenses.

NOTE: Prime lenses are non zoom lenses that have a fixed focal length, like35mm, 50mm, 100mm, etc. Some of the primes will extend the lens barrel for focus, and that is what the "Retract lens on power off" is for on your R10.

Look on the front of your lens for your lens info.

Lens Info-1.jpg

I also recommend downloading and studying the "advanced" user manual. I also like to buy books by reputable authors to supplement the manuals, but the R10 is so new, I doubt there are many out yet.

I know it's tough learning all of this stuff, but it will all come together... I promise 🙂

Happy shooting!

Newton

Ahh I see, thank you so much! So it's meant to be removed, not retracted? And would you recommend removing the lens when storing it to keep it safe? Or just leaving it on?

@lucy3 wrote:

Ahh I see, thank you so much! So it's meant to be removed, not retracted? And would you recommend removing the lens when storing it to keep it safe? Or just leaving it on?

You are welcome!

Yes, your lens is meant to be removed, but you should manually retract it by turning the Zoom Ring until the lens barrel is all the way in before stowing it away.

You will get different opinions on whether or not to leave your lens attached. My approach is changing lenses as little as possible, so I leave my lens attached and store the entire rig in my carry case. I use one lens 80% of the time, so it's no big deal, but that lens is a long one, so my case has to hold my camera with a long lens attached.

Since you have just one lens, I recommend leaving it attached. Every time you remove the lens, there is a chance that dust, lint, hair, etc. will find it's way onto the sensor array and the back element of the lens. But there are proper ways to remove lenses that will help to keep debris at bay, like keeping your camera pointed down and capping both lens and camera as quickly as possible. I would buy a camera bag or case large enough to hold your rig with lens attached, something like the LowePro Nova 180 (just an example). But there are lots of options and I have a traditional bag like the Nova and a backpack type, which I prefer for walking around in the woods and parks that I shoot in.

Something else you should consider is a "protector" type lens filter for the front of your lens, like the "Canon Protect" (just an example). The good ones are made from lens grade glass and will make it safer to clean the front lens element and protect it from scratches. Lenses have coatings and cleaning will eventually wear that away. Once again, there are lots of good brands of protecto filters to choose from, but don't go cheap, and make sure it is made from photo quality glass. All of my lenses have one even though I also have lens hoods. I just have to clean it instead of my front element.

Newton

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Newton.  I agree.  Any mode except +A should yield the alternate menus.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Awesome, thank you! I see the menu in other settings now and have the Retract Camera Lens on power off enabled, but the lens is still not retracted all the way. Is that supposed to happen? 

Announcements