cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 5D MARK II doesn’t accept card

Schneeklooss
Apprentice
Hello, a few weeks ago, I bought a used - refurbished camera which should be working fine, but when I tried the first cf to micro as adapter, the camera didn’t accept the card and I couldn’t even format the card. I was sure the issue is about the not reliable adapter, but when I bought an other cf card, which was not an adapter, it didn’t accept the card either, and I can’t even take pictures of the card is insert. Also the Camera has issues with turning on since I got the new card.

I would be happy about any ideas or tips.
Best
Nilas
9 REPLIES 9

Schneeklooss
Apprentice
Also, the camera screen is not working as the Card is insert and the small screen on the top says „error“ but it all works totally fine when I take out the card

Schneeklooss
Apprentice
It shows „Err 80“

My guess is that the adapter somehow bent the CF card pins at the bottom of the slot. Get a flashlight and magnifying glass and check them out.

If one is bent you might try straightening it out. You can do a Google search online for tips on how to straighten it. 

Mike Sowsun

I agree with Mike's assessment that one or more pins were likely bent in the CF connector.  I have never used a 5D M2 but I believe this one only has a single memory card slot which limits your options.  If you are technically proficient you can try to straighten any bent pins.  Use a good magnifier and excellent light making sure that parallax error isn't causing you to make an incorrect bend while attempting this repair.  These pins should have been somewhat hardened during manufacture which means every bend will make them more fragile so don't overdo it during your repair forcing further bending and likely resultant breakage of a pin.

I would have on hand a very good quality large capacity CF card and plan on basically marrying it to the camera and transferring files with the card still in the camera once you get it working.  I am not a fan of the CF pin interface because it is not mechanically robust and is fairly easy to damage.  I use an ethernet cable for image transfer with my 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies rather than subjecting the CF and Cfast connectors to risk.  The SD card connector is far more mechanically robust and I am glad my Canon XF-400 uses this reliable setup and this was the primary card I used with my older 1D Mark II which had CF and SD slots.

Your other option is to send the camera to a shop that still works on these and have them replace the connector; if you plan to continue removing and inserting cards this is your only real option because once a pin has been bent it will never be as strong asit was originally  If you are very comfortable with precision repair, you could switch this connector from a parts unit.  I have done repair and calibration of precision test gear much more expensive and complex than Canon camera bodies and I am comfortable with these types of repairs but it really isn't something that you should undertake unless you are used to working precisely with very small electronic components.

Good luck in getting this resolved.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

I agree with Mike's assessment that one or more pins were likely bent in the CF connector.  I have never used a 5D M2 but I believe this one only has a single memory card slot which limits your options.  If you are technically proficient you can try to straighten any bent pins.  Use a good magnifier and excellent light making sure that parallax error isn't causing you to make an incorrect bend while attempting this repair.  These pins should have been somewhat hardened during manufacture which means every bend will make them more fragile so don't overdo it during your repair forcing further bending and likely resultant breakage of a pin.

I would have on hand a very good quality large capacity CF card and plan on basically marrying it to the camera and transferring files with the card still in the camera once you get it working.  I am not a fan of the CF pin interface because it is not mechanically robust and is fairly easy to damage.  I use an ethernet cable for image transfer with my 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies rather than subjecting the CF and Cfast connectors to risk.  The SD card connector is far more mechanically robust and I am glad my Canon XF-400 uses this reliable setup and this was the primary card I used with my older 1D Mark II which had CF and SD slots.

Your other option is to send the camera to a shop that still works on these and have them replace the connector; if you plan to continue removing and inserting cards this is your only real option because once a pin has been bent it will never be as strong asit was originally  If you are very comfortable with precision repair, you could switch this connector from a parts unit.  I have done repair and calibration of precision test gear much more expensive and complex than Canon camera bodies and I am comfortable with these types of repairs but it really isn't something that you should undertake unless you are used to working precisely with very small electronic components.

Good luck in getting this resolved.

Rodger

I once fixed a CF slot on a 20D for a colleague at work. (His wife had bent some pins by forcing a card in backwards.) It took a couple of hours, but wasn't especially difficult. The biggest problem is that you really need three hands: one to hold the camera steady, one to manipulate the longnose pliers, and one to hold the flashlight. Since it's really too cumbersome for a second person to intervene, it's a juggling act. But I did manage to get it working. (IIRC, I mainly held the flashlight in my mouth.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob,

You need one of those ultra-cool headbands with LED lights sticking out of them 🙂

I have really good lighting for my work bench with a couple of very adjustable lamps to get light where I need it but even with these little guys I know what you mean about getting the light exactly where you need it without casting shadows.  I have repaired a few vintage meter movements and you need good lighting and 3 or 4 hands would come in handy at times.

Good job on successfully repairing the tiny connector!

After doing some restorations involving tiny modern components, my next project is a full restoration of this rare Hallicrafters receiver from 1938.  At 30" wide and 20" deep one can just about crawl inside to work on it instead of trying to work under a microscope 🙂  This is a good thing because this one will require a lot to bring it back to factory condition but since it cost as much as a new car during the Great Depression few were sold and very few remain in existence.  

Working on large electronics is a good practice method before delving into tiny modern stuff!

DD-1 front.JPG

DD-1 top.JPG

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Bob,

You need one of those ultra-cool headbands with LED lights sticking out of them 🙂 ...

You know, I think you're right. I didn't have one of those at the time; but I do now, and it works pretty well.

At home I have an adjustable lamp that clips onto a table, and that might have made the job easier. But I was at work, where conditions weren't as good.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@wq9nsc wrote:

Bob,

You need one of those ultra-cool headbands with LED lights sticking out of them 🙂 ...

You know, I think you're right. I didn't have one of those at the time; but I do now, and it works pretty well.

At home I have an adjustable lamp that clips onto a table, and that might have made the job easier. But I was at work, where conditions weren't as good.

I have a fluorescent one with the magnifying glass in the center, which I can no longer use.  Had to give up repairs over a decade ago when my vision began failing due to my age.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Schneeklooss
Apprentice
Hello,

First of all, I was so surprised by that fast and many answers! Thank you all a lot for taking that time! I just took a look into the card slot and there were two pins looking to the side. I tried to fix it with very small tools but I couldn’t but realized that I should better leave it and return it befor I would damage anything. So thank you for your help 🙂

Nilas
Announcements