cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D consistently over exposing

davegball
Contributor

Hi

I've just upgraded my Canon 70d to the 90d. I used my 70d exclusively for macro photography. I'm in Manual mode for ISO, f-stop and shutter speed and TTL for the flash. I use evaluative metering and have always gotten very well exposed images on my old camera. Since upgrading to the 90d my photos are always over exposed anywhere from +1/3 to a full +1 stop depending on the magnification chosenon the macro lens. If it was a standard +1/3 across the board I could adjust Flash Exposure Compensation and be on my way. But I'm constantly checking and adjusting settings and it's frustrating. Also my subjects don't wait around. I've tried all available metering modes on the 90d but none allow me good exposures. I can live with minor issues but when a photo is a full stop over exposed I wonder. Different cameras handle in different ways so maybe its a nuance of the 90d or maybe I'm missing a menu setting. I've tried it with the mpe65 and 100mm macro lens and both result in over exposed photos. 

Any advice ? My 90d is on the shelf and I've gone back to my 70d until I can figure this out.

Thanks, 

David. 

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
It could be the camera. My light meter says my 6D2 is usually 1/3 stop over exposed. What flash system?

You seem to be careful enough not to be unknowingly locking exposure or compensation. How well does the camera perform under more typical shooting conditions with and without flash?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply. It's a single 270 EX flash on the hotshoe so nothing fancy.

I exclusively shoot full flash macro so I haven't tried without flash. My comparisons are 1-2-1 against the 70d.  

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Does “full flash macro” mean 100%, full power flash? Not E-TTL flash mode?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Full flash macro means no ambient light, The scene is lit entirely by flash (in TTL mode). . 

You might be running into this from page 79 of the manual:

90D79.jpg

But then this shows up in the 70D manual:

70D74.jpg

@davegball wrote:

Full flash macro means no ambient light, The scene is lit entirely by flash (in TTL mode). . 

If you use a flash set to TTL on an E-TTL camera, the images will always be grossly overexposed. You have to set the flash to E-TTL, manual, or the mode (I forget what it's called) that lets the flash unit, rather than the camera, determine the correct exposure.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for your comment. That still leaves the question why the same flash exposes perfectly on the 70D or have I missed something in your reply?

@davegball wrote:

Thanks for your comment. That still leaves the question why the same flash exposes perfectly on the 70D or have I missed something in your reply?

Did you have the flash set to TTL on the 70D? If so, I'd expect the same result. TTL flash is incompatible with an E-TTL camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I only have ETTL or Manual flash control on both cameras. I don't think modern Canon cameras still have TTL as an option. 

Announcements