cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mk IV HDMI Out Not Working

weekleyba
Contributor

I've purchased a new on-camera monitor for my 5D Mk IV and I'm not able to get it to work. Just says "No Signal". The monitor works on my 70D just fine. I've searched the web for answers but have found none the fix my problem. So far I've tried disabling the Wi-Fi/FNC function and reseting the camera to factory defaults.

Does anyone have any advice?

I should add, I've never used the HDMI out before on this camera, so I guess there's a possibility that there is something wrong with it.

20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If does [sound] like a potential problem with the HDMI port. If you have any AC adapters connected, try disconnecting them. If it is still a “no-go” on battery power only, then your camera may need a visit to Canon Service Center.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I don't have a 5D4. It will output 1920 x 1080 over HDMI. You need to disable display info on the Camera <menu 5> HDMI menu, and match the output, codec and frame rate of the camera to your monitor.

If this doesn't help, Waddizzle repair suggestion is best.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What frame rate are you capturing your footage in? Depending upon that, the output signal will be different. So you'll need to check out your monitor's information/manual on what signals it supports.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

weekleyba
Contributor

The monitor I bought is Timbrecod DC-56. Here is the list of signals it supports. See image below. Can anyone tell me which one I could use for the 5D4? I've tried a few but no dice. Also, what should the following be set to on the 5D4:

HFMI Frame Rate (59.94i, 59.94p or 23.98p)

Movie Rec Quality

Aspect Ratio (for photos)

DC-56 Signals.jpg

I changed my Video System selection to For PAL. This gave me the ability to see HDMI Frame Rate of 50.00P & 50.00I and Auto. Still "No Signal".

I wish manufacturers would stop rounding values. I'm assuming that when that product shows 1080/60p, they really mean 1080/59.94p. Also instead of 30 and 24, they really mean 29.97 and 23.978

Anyhow, what frame rate are you using when capturing your footage?

About the only other thing I can think of leading to no signal (aside from your HDMI output being bad) is the cable. Some newer HDMI cables are "active" and there's a certain direction you can use them in (ends are marked with "source" and "display"; make sure the "source" end is connected to your camera). I always use passive cables myself that can be used in any direction.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I've tried all frame rates. No dice. The cable should be good as it works with the Canon 70D.

I'm thinking the HDMI out has a problem.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

All of the discussion about frame rates and recording has left me totally confused about what exactly is the issue.

If you connect the monitor in photo mode, can you see the menus from the rear LCD or not?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No matter what I set in the menus, (HDMI Display, etc.) the camera rear display goes black, when the monitor is plugged into the HDMI out and then powered on. Doesn't matter if it's photo mode or video mode, the rear LCD goes black and the monitor always reads "No Signal."

I'm starting to think, I need to send it in. Unless you have any other ideas...I'm all ears.

Announcements