cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV error lost confidence in product

AMCLARSSON
Contributor

Hi all, This is my first post!

I got a new 5D Mark IV which I began using today.

1.) On the top LCD screen it displayed an error code 'err cr2d..' it flashed very quickly before disappearing and the main LCD screen was blank. The retailer is collecting the camera for a refund as they only have them available on a 5-7 day delivery now. Are there widespread issues with this model?

2.) I am opting for a 5D Mark III instead, simply because I have always thought the longer a model has been out the more likely it is to be fault free'. This episode kind of proved that to be true. What are your thoughts on that?

3.) I have one more question - the menu is dramatically different from what I came from (6D, upgrading for several reasons - build quality for one) and I began noticing things like 'Electronic lens MF' which isn't mentioned in the manual. I began thinking whether this error may have been to do with this feature and I may not have set up the camera to lens correctly. Or is there something else I am not considering?

I have never experienced an error with Canon cameras so this made me lose confidence in this product.

(FYI - I switched between a Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8 L II to a Canon EF 50mm 1.4 during shoot)

Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

1.) If you've already sent it back, why do you even care? Did you think to call Canon? They have a very good reputation for customer service.

2.) The Mark IV has many new features, but the Mark III is a fine camera as well, and now it's about $1000 cheaper. Your point about an older model having the bugs worked out isn't silly, but so far there don't seem to be serious problems with the Mark IV. FWIW, the Mark III had a light leak issue early on that required some cameras to be sent in for repair.

3.) Well, you could have tried reading the manual. But I guess it's too late now. Right?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your reply.

1.) The reason I care is that I would like the 5D4 over the 5D3 as it is up to date and I am spending £2-4K.

I did call Canon but they were no help. Every answer was pretty much 'I don't have that information sir'. In my initial call they told me the EFS lenses were compatible which is simply not true.

I may opt for a replacement 5D4 or go for the 5D3. My worry is the duration of support Canon offer for the 5D3 as they are ceasing production this year of it

2.) Ok. In my opinion, a new camera would be a better solution rather than a repair. But I assume there are no issues with the 5D3 now nor anything similar with the 5D4 that you have heard.

3.) I did read the manual, there is nothing in it. Nor is there in the online version. This happened mid shoot and Iost some images.

FYI - I am UK based. I shoot stills only.

Did you use a memory card that was formatted it in the camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, memory cards I use are new and formatted before shooting with.

@AMCLARSSON wrote:

Yes, memory cards I use are new and formatted before shooting with.

I should have been clearer.  New memory cards need a LOW LEVEL format, not just a quick format.  

I performed a standard format - there was no need to perform a low level format. I have also been told that if using fast cards there is no need. I have never condiered doing one and thus, never looked into what it does. Please can you enlightened me?

Can we have a 35mm revolution? Smiley Very Happy

@AMCLARSSON wrote:

I performed a standard format - there was no need to perform a low level format. I have also been told that if using fast cards there is no need. I have never condiered doing one and thus, never looked into what it does. Please can you enlightened me?

Can we have a 35mm revolution? Smiley Very Happy

New memory cards are tested during production.  Performance testing is how they determine how to rate cards.  What may seem to be a fully formatted card is actually residue from production testing, and needs to be completely wiped.

Thank you Waddizzle. So you recommend I perform a low level wipe upon every use instead of a general format? Thanks for your help, appreciate it!

@AMCLARSSON wrote:

Thank you Waddizzle. So you recommend I perform a low level wipe upon every use instead of a general format? Thanks for your help, appreciate it!

I don't think it is necessary to perform a low level format before every use.  I would compare a low level format to bull dozing a piece of land and paving it over.  A regular format would paint lanes and parking spaces on that paved surface.  Your data would be stored in those parking spaces.  

So, a regular format is sufficient to erase a memory card.  It probably would not be a bad idea to perform a low level format from time to time, especially as your memory cards age.  A low level format should identify weak areas on the card, and mark them as unusable, although Canon DSLRs do not seem to spend enough time during a low level format to actually test every memory location on the storage media.

As far as choice of camera goes, it sounds like you need to place a priority on build quality and weather sealing against dust and moisture.  Canon's flagship 1D series would be a natural first choice.  The 5D3 and 5D4 are very good camera bodies, too.  

Another factor to consider is what type of post processing software you would use.  It is my understanding that Adobe is only supporting the 5D4 through their subscription based products.  Their older stand alone products may not be compatible with 5D4 RAW files.  I really do not know one way or the other, but there have been a couple of posts here reporting it.

Announcements