cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV - ViewFinder Bottom Bar not displaying

Zbizafar
Apprentice

Hi,

My 5D MK 4 is not showing the bottom bar in the viewfinder (The green one). I checked everywhere but couldn't find the solution to fix it.

Anyone else had this same problem? Do you know how it can be fixed?

Thanks

BC2AD64D-2D32-4AB0-A39F-9BCA1BC57593.png

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am not aware of any settings that would disable it entirely.  Try resetting the camera back to factory defaults.  Switch the camera to Green [A] mode to see if the display has returned.  If not, then I recommend contacting Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What mode is the camera mode dial in. In full Auto (A+ Mode) the light meter an other things are not visible in the bottom of the viewfinder display.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you for you reply. 

its in full manual mode. I have the latest 1.3.3 firmware and I tried resetting the camera as well. 

But nothing seems to work

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I initially thought that you had meant that the entire bottom row was not visible.  When in Auto mode the exposure meter does go away.  But, exposure metering should be visible in M mode.

One explanation would be if your top dial were going bad.  When the top dial is set to A or M, what shooting mode indication do you see when you press [Q], Quick Menu?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Try pressing the ISO/ Exposure Compensation button while looking through the viewfinder. Depending on the mode the light meter/ exposure compensation meter should be displayed at the bottom of the viewfinder.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Done that.. pressed all buttons there are 😄 nothing happens. 

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Do you have a right or left facing arrow at either end where the bar should be?  That indicates over or under exposure beyond what the three stop scale can display.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

No. I can only see in the viewfinder the option that you can open from the menu like Auto focus, flicker etc. 

The bar below it is completely gone. Looks like a hardware issue to me as I even went to the Canon shop and he didn't know about it. He was of course not a technician but if it was a setting issue should have known about it. 

OK, thank you for clarifying!  I thought you meant just the indicator bar under exposure level was missing.  With the entire bottom bar missing, I am confident that is a hardware and not a setting issue.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements