cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1 D Mk II N sensor issue?

donoman
Apprentice

Hello. I'm new to the forum but no to Canon.

I picked up an old 1DIIN just to tinker with. It was sold cheap because of what looks like a senor issue. When pictures are taken wide open the white area in the picture occurs. When a lens is stopped way down it almost goes away and in some cases is gone completely. 

Sensor problems most likely. Anyone seen this before and what is the solution?

sensor issues 1.jpgsensor issues 4.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

Broken shutter.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

how costly is that to fix?

Probably too old for Canon to still support, one of the aftermarket shops might do the repair.  But it will be more than the body is worth. 

Fairly rapid obsolescence due to lack of parts/support is very common now.  It basically undoes the green/environmental good done through other measures like electricity conservation.

You can buy a used working 1D2N body from B&H with a 90 day guarantee for $500. 

If you are into do it yourself you could buy one of the Chinese shutter assemblies on ebay in the $60 range and attempt to repair it yourself.  If the shutter went out on my old 1D2 AND I had access to a genuine Canon replacement I would probalby undertake the repair but I wouldn't go to that level of trouble to put in a likely counterfeit part that may not work at all and if it did it would likely have a short and imperfect life.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Call Midwest Camera Repair.  No biggie as shutters are not difficult to replace.  Estimate $350 give or take.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The EOS 1D Mk IIn is a great camera.  Of all the older 1 series I had, I kept my Mk IIn.  I still use it quite a bit. 

EB

"The EOS 1D Mk IIn is a great camera.  Of all the older 1 series I had, I kept mu Mk IIn.  I still use it quite a bit."

Agree and it nicely illustrates you don't need a huge number of megapixels to provide very nice images.  I plan to hang onto my 1D Mk II for my daughter and it has a pretty low shutter count so hopefully it has several years left in it.

The low light/high ISO performance of the 1DX Mark II is nice but that same full frame sensor with 12-14 megapixels would have offered noticeably lower noise using its current generation of sensor technology.  I am not convinced that merging the studio and sports lines into a "unibody" was the best decision.  It is a nice camera body but we always want more and in my case lower noise is preferable to more pixels.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nscwrote:

"The EOS 1D Mk IIn is a great camera.  Of all the older 1 series I had, I kept mu Mk IIn.  I still use it quite a bit."

Agree and it nicely illustrates you don't need a huge number of megapixels to provide very nice images.  I plan to hang onto my 1D Mk II for my daughter and it has a pretty low shutter count so hopefully it has several years left in it.

The low light/high ISO performance of the 1DX Mark II is nice but that same full frame sensor with 12-14 megapixels would have offered noticeably lower noise using its current generation of sensor technology.  I am not convinced that merging the studio and sports lines into a "unibody" was the best decision.  It is a nice camera body but we always want more and in my case lower noise is preferable to more pixels.

Rodger

What you say may have been true when the 1D2N was current. But we're now firmly mired in the Era of Huge Prints, and 12-14 megapixels are unlikelly to do the job at the magnifications one currently sees.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"But we're now firmly mired in the Era of Huge Prints ..."

Yeah, I know.  What a pity back in the day we had to be content with 2x3's because we couldn't make a big print. I think I'll throw my 1d2n in the lake. 

Smiley Frustrated

EB

donoman
Apprentice

I got a couple of bids for fixing it but decided to sell it to a local guy who wanted to give it a shot for fixing. 

Announcements