cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can´t update firmwire on Canon R5

Mattias
Apprentice

Hi all,

I cant update the firmwire on my Canon R5. I use a fully loaded battery, I download the new firmwire from a Canon site, I unzip the firmwire, I format my CF Express in the camera, I put the CF express card in my computer and move the firmwire called EOS R5152 to the root meny of my CF express card, I put my body in P mode, I put the CF express card in my camera. I go to firmwire and my camera says "current firmware version is 1.2.0. Update firmware" I click "OK" and the camera display instantly turns black (is closes, or freezes) and nothing happens....(even if I wait for an hour). The camera is now frozen and I have to take out the battery and insert it again to start the camera....But the firmwire is still 1.2.0. I use windows on my computer. I tried to install firmwire version 3 on my body last summer as well...and it was the same result. Version 3 was not important to me, but the new firmwire 5 (with an update in auto focus) is. Is there something wrong with my body?

4 REPLIES 4

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

I would recommend trying the firmware update through an SD card instead of the CFExpress, but if the same result occurs then it may be best to have the camera examined by a service technician. They would also update the firmware before sending it back to you.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Thx Mark, I tried an SD card as well (and I tried to do it through the computer as well). Same result in all 3 cases. The display on my Canon R5 body turns all black (frozen) instantly when I click "OK" in the last step.

I would suggest you reset the camera to factory defaults, download the firmware again from the internet in case it got corrupted from previous download and try again. Hope that helps.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Current FW for the R5 is 1.5.2

There was never a version 3 or 5?

1.2.0? Why are you trying to install firmware from over a year ago?  It would would not include any of the battery optimizations or updates to face detect, eye tracking, etc. 

If you have an R5, use the link below to download FW

Support | Mirrorless | EOS R5 | Canon USA

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements