cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect my smart phone with Canon 6D wireless for EOS remote.

ToniBrides
Apprentice

Please help! Urgent!

Canon 6D wi-fi already enabled, wi-fi function set to connet to smarphone with camera access point mode and easy connetion. EOS app downloaded on my smartphone LG G2. However, when I turn on wi-fi on my phone and choose to connect to my Canon 6D after I input the encryption key, it keeps on telling me that Internet unavailable with my Canon 6D. Even though the phone detected the camera's wi-fi and says the signal is strong.

I've tried ''forget' the camera network and input new encryption key, but the same thing happens.

16 REPLIES 16

Tara_N
Enthusiast

Hi, ToniBrides!

Welcome to the Canon Forums! The Forums aren't intended for immediate assistance. If your question is of an urgent nature, please feel free to CONTACT US either by phone during business hours or email 24 hours a day!

We hope this is helpful!

@ToniBrides wrote:

Please help! Urgent!

Canon 6D wi-fi already enabled, wi-fi function set to connet to smarphone with camera access point mode and easy connetion. EOS app downloaded on my smartphone LG G2. However, when I turn on wi-fi on my phone and choose to connect to my Canon 6D after I input the encryption key, it keeps on telling me that Internet unavailable with my Canon 6D. Even though the phone detected the camera's wi-fi and says the signal is strong.

I've tried ''forget' the camera network and input new encryption key, but the same thing happens.

Are you saying that you're trying to connect the smartphone to the Internet via the camera? You won't be able to do that unless the camera can see a gateway router. The smartphone itself may be able to connect directly to the Internet, and I believe that some smartphones can serve as gateway routers. But then you'd want the camera to be in client, not access point, mode; otherwise it would have no way to talk to the smartphone unless you can establish a cable or Bluetooth link.

Is wi-fi really worth the trouble in this context? If you're a photojournalist on strict deadlines and have to submit your pictures the fastest possible way, maybe it's justified. Otherwise it's just vastly simpler to get the pictures out of the camera via a USB connection or a card reader.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the message. No, I'm not trying to connect my smart phone to internet through my 6D.

I'm trying to use my smart phone as my 6D EOS remote for shooting  by connecting my camera and phone. It requires the camera wifi to be on. 

What kind of phone is it?  It sounds like the issue is with your phone, not the camera.  I'm not sure why it would look for internet.  Do you have a browser open?  I don't know much about iPhone, but on Android go into your tabs or setup and kill any browsers that are running.  You shouldn't have to, but might as well while troubleshooting. 

Does it drop you from the network (camera's) once it gives you the internet warning?  Did you try connecting via EOS anyway and see if it can?

Another problem I've had is that my phone keeps trying to connect to my home WiFi automatically instead of the camera.  Use "forget network" if you have to just to make sure that's not interfering. 

Trouble shooting the WiFi connection on these cameras can be a royal PIA.  The technology is still young.  Usually it's something silly that you did or didn't do.  It sounds like you're doing it right, but just to be sure don't use the easy connect mode, use the regular and put in your own password and all that.

Thank you Skirball!

I finally figured out the problem! I have a LG G2 Android phone. There is a very tricky default setting on the phone's  'advanced wi-fi setting' that had 'wi-fi automatically disconnected when the internet is unavailable' checked. That was causing the disconnecting problem with my EOS 6D. Once I uncheck it, it worked great!

Just a side note for anyone out there who's trying to connect EOS 6D Wi Fi with their laptop for remote shooting. If they have a window 8.1 it won't work.

@ToniBrides wrote:

Thank you Skirball!

I finally figured out the problem! I have a LG G2 Android phone. There is a very tricky default setting on the phone's  'advanced wi-fi setting' that had 'wi-fi automatically disconnected when the internet is unavailable' checked. That was causing the disconnecting problem with my EOS 6D. Once I uncheck it, it worked great!.

That "tricky" auto-disconnect didn't work for you, but there's a sensible reason for it being there. In most situations, if the phone can't see the Internet, it will want to abandon the wi-fi connection and establish a data connection to a cell tower. By default, the phone sees wi-fi as merely a cheaper (and possibly faster) alternative to the cellular network. Pretending that a camera is a wi-fi access point is what's tricky.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

That "tricky" auto-disconnect didn't work for you, but there's a sensible reason for it being there. In most situations, if the phone can't see the Internet, it will want to abandon the wi-fi connection and establish a data connection to a cell tower. By default, the phone sees wi-fi as merely a cheaper (and possibly faster) alternative to the cellular network. Pretending that a camera is a wi-fi access point is what's tricky.

Yes, that's more or less the same finding I made:

I had a similar problem with my LG V10 connecting to my 6D -- EOS Remote app would work, but Camera Connect would never detect the 6D. The smartphone would easily find and get an IP address from the camera, but Camera Connect would never detect the camera.

I fixed it by disabling the mobile data connection (e.g. 4G LTE). Once I did that, the smartphone immediately saw the camera.

My guess is that the Camera Connect app uses a different method of detecting the camera than the EOS Remote App, and it was trying to detect the camera on the mobile data network, not the wifi network. Once I disabled the mobile network, the app detected the camera on wifi.

I'm also having a problem with the Canon Camera Connect app not connecting to my camera. I have a Canon 6D and a Samsung S6 version 5.1.1. I just read on another forum that this app does not work with Andriod 5. Is that true?

I keep my data turned off and my phone has no problem connecting to my camera's wi-fi but the app will not connect. Any help would be great.

Thanks! 

Hello cemcgrady, 

The Camera Connect app is compatible with the following platforms: 

Android 4.0-4.4/5.0-5.1/6.0

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements