cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamron lens with Cannon Rebel T7

Havocide
Contributor
Can anyone confirm that the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD for Canon works with the Cannon Rebel T7?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Any EF mount lens will work on your T7. There are no limitations.

Tamron 70-300 For Canon & Nikon - SP 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di VC USD (tamron-usa.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Accordint to the B&H web site, the lens you mention has an EF mount, which should be compatible, but also says that it is full-frame compatible.

According to this site:

What You Must Know About Full vs Crop Frame Sensors Before Choosing a Lens

: https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/new-dslr-owners-what-you-must-know-about-full-frame-vs-crop-frame-...

you can use full-frame lenses on a crup sensor camera, but there are some limitaions.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Any EF mount lens will work on your T7. There are no limitations.

Tamron 70-300 For Canon & Nikon - SP 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di VC USD (tamron-usa.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Havocide
Contributor
John that's great news! I bought the T7 lens kit which came with a 18-55mm & 70-300 (no stabilization) and am completely disappointed. It's next to impossible to shoot anything at 300mm with any kind of sharpness without a tripod. I watched countless hours of videos on lens and the Tamron 70-300 For Canon - SP 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di VC USD seems like a perfect fit for me which is in my price range. Luckily I have Tamron dealer within 20 miles of me and will definitely be headed that way shortly. Thanks for the response.

It was a close tossup between the Tamron 70-300 For Canon - SP 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di VC USD and the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is II USM Lens for Canon DSLR

While the lens will work on your camera, there are sometimes compatibility issues with third party lenses. Often a formware update *to the lens* will fix it.

(Oh and you have the 75-300, all the recent canon 70-300 have IS - The current 70-300 II is a great lens)

"...there are sometimes compatibility issues with third party lenses."

Just because it is an EF mount, you need to beware of incompatibility.  Personally I would not buy the Tamron.  It offers no benefit. The best of these large zoom range lenses in this category are poor at best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...there are sometimes compatibility issues with third party lenses."

Just because it is an EF mount, you need to beware of incompatibility.  Personally I would not buy the Tamron.  It offers no benefit. The best of these large zoom range lenses in this category are poor at best.

Agree, 100%

List of reasons not to buy Tamron:

-Focus and zoom rings are swapped - as in backwards.  Look at all of your lens, now at a Tamron, you'll notice immediately.  So much for relying on muscle memory.  

-FW updates are few and far between.  If your new body doesn't support your lens, good luck getting a FW update.  Tamron's reputation for ensuring compatibility isn't what I would consider overly high.

To Tamron's credit, some of their newer optics are very nice., but the investment and potential for disappointment outweighs any redeeming qualities in the longer term.  You'll think about this every time you try to zoom and then whoops, thats the focus ring.  You'll have to make this decision. 

Go Canon <<

Sigma (second)

Tamron (third)  

I have the Canon 70~300 IS USM II as well.  Good lens.

DxO.jpg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Havocide
Contributor
kvbarkley it is definitely a toss up between the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is II USM and the Tamron 70-300 For Canon - SP 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di VC USD

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you aren’t committed yet check out the reviews of both lenses on the-digital-picture dot com.

I have the Canon 70-300 and am very happy with it.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Havocide
Contributor
John it will definitely be one of those two lens. The Canon for sure has a smoother stabilization from the lens comparison I've seen.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements