cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLICKING NOISE coming from my Canon EOS M50 Mark II Video playback

JesusSaves
Apprentice

I recently just purchased the Canon EOS M50 Mark II. I bought a external RODE shotgun mic for good audio. Every time I record with it, the playback has a clicking noise. I used a second external mic and the same thing happens. I get a clicking noise when I listen to the playback of the videos. If I don't use a external mic but I use the cameras internal mic the sonud is clear and works fine. No noise at all.

Someone told me it's the auto focus and to put it on manual. I did just that but to no avail. I noticed one thing, on the jack socket of the camera, (the part where you insert the 3.5 mm jack from the external mic) when I sometimes turn and shift the 3.5 MM jack inside the cameras socket it clears up a little. This must be noted.

I recently thought that something was wrong with the 3.5 mm cord, but I tried three different chords and they all do the same thing. When I rotate or shift it alleviates the harsh clicking noise a little bit, but only sometimes. It's lead me to believe that either there's some type of shortage in the cameras jack socket or there's something that I'm just not doing. 

Please help if anyone knows anything about this issue. I've been thinking about returning this $800 camera.

2 REPLIES 2

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

I have 2 different rode mics (stereo video mic pro and wireless go II) and one thing about using external mics is to set the mic recording level to manual.  I set the highest gain on the mics and the manual level is usually around 5 clicks from the left.  Lot of audio editing software also have a declicking option.  Most if not all (aside from dedicated video cameras) have really noisy preamps so the audio quality isn't that great.  You did note a possible jack issue as well.  If you have a sample video (i.e. link to unlisted youtube video) where we could hear the audio sample, that might help.  I did have an EOS R where when recording audio, spoken was fine but any musical performances would have some wierd distortion (vs audio clipping).  Ended up selling the R later on to replace with R5.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

Also, the mics that plug into mic plugs on canon has to be TRS and not TRRS.  Which rode mics specifically did you try?  Look at the tip of the plug and see if you see 2 (TRS) or 3 rings (TRRS).  If you use a TRRS plug in a TRS mic jack, you could have wierd audio recordings.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)
Announcements