cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON 7D VS R6 - SHOULD I UPGRADE

Roysan
Apprentice

Good Afternoon, I have been using a Canon 7D for the past fiver years.  I mostly take indoor pictures with a speed lite flash.

What kind of benefit would I get by upgrading to the R6?

Any difference?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Greetings,

Given the complete difference in technolgy, and the fact that the 7D is over a decade older, the R6 will outperform the 7D by leaps and bounds everywhere.  Do you own any EF glass?  

The difference in low light performance alone would warrant the upgrade for me.  You might even find that you don't need a flash for some of the more brightly lit indoor scenes.  The R6 also has superior tracking capability which may not be such a big deal for someone who shoots mostly indoors.  

The DigicX in the R6 was kept at 20MP for a reason.  Its capable of capturing an incredible amount of light and detail.  The R6 is nearly half a pound lighter too.

The considerations:

The EVF and R6 are much more power hungry.  360 vs 800 images on a single battery charge.  While you can use APS-C lenses with a R6, the resulting images won't be 20MP.  Think somewhere between 7~8MP.  So you may want to factor in the cost of new EF, RF lenses and adapter. 

For someone using a 10 yr old camera, there are a million reasons to get the R6 and another million not too.  Your needs, and budget, are going to to have to decide that.    

Side by side:

Canon R6 vs Canon 7D Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

Others here will have more to add I'm sure.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Where do you think your shots need improvement?

Greetings,

Given the complete difference in technolgy, and the fact that the 7D is over a decade older, the R6 will outperform the 7D by leaps and bounds everywhere.  Do you own any EF glass?  

The difference in low light performance alone would warrant the upgrade for me.  You might even find that you don't need a flash for some of the more brightly lit indoor scenes.  The R6 also has superior tracking capability which may not be such a big deal for someone who shoots mostly indoors.  

The DigicX in the R6 was kept at 20MP for a reason.  Its capable of capturing an incredible amount of light and detail.  The R6 is nearly half a pound lighter too.

The considerations:

The EVF and R6 are much more power hungry.  360 vs 800 images on a single battery charge.  While you can use APS-C lenses with a R6, the resulting images won't be 20MP.  Think somewhere between 7~8MP.  So you may want to factor in the cost of new EF, RF lenses and adapter. 

For someone using a 10 yr old camera, there are a million reasons to get the R6 and another million not too.  Your needs, and budget, are going to to have to decide that.    

Side by side:

Canon R6 vs Canon 7D Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

Others here will have more to add I'm sure.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you I just needed a nudge! I would like to stop using the flash and I have the EF lenses 28-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. I use light room too! All I need is the adapter and I'm good to go.

Yes I was looking for low light performance as well.

CHEERS!

I've owned Rebel XT/7D/5Dm3/5Dm4/EOSR and now R5

short answer is you'll be blown away by everything, you won't regret anything except your wallet being much lighter.

I thought my 5Dm4 was good but R5 was amazing (R6 will be very similar experience going from 7D).  Using the adapter, you can still use your old glass and the IBIS will improve your old EF glasses as well until you can switch over.  If you get just 1 RF lense, the 24-70 RF is excellent.

I still have my 5Dm4 but i rarely use it anymore just because the R5 is just so much better.

I've upgraded to newer gear by selling my older gear on eBay.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

@Roysan,

Note again...

EF-S lenses used on jaewoosong's R5 (45MP) yields 17MP in crop mode.  You will only get 7MP on the R6 (20MP) .  You are starting with a much lower MP count..  Like putting a speed limiter on a race car.  Just be mindful of this.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

the OP has EF lenses (28-70, 70-200) not EF-S on a crop body (7D). by going to R6, OP will be able to use the full optics on his EF lens. 7D has 18mp (cropped sensor) and R6 will have 20MP(full frame sensor). you can't put EF-S lens on full frame camera (any of 5D or R5/6).

OP's lens:

7D (1.6x crop factor):

28-70 is 45-112 (effective)

70-200 is 112-320 (effective)

R6 (1x crop factor)

28-70 is 28-70

70-200 is 70-200

EF->RF adapter doesn't change any crop factor (no glass).

So one thing you get is a wider field of view going from crop sensor 7D to full frame R6.

-jaewoo

@jaewoosong wrote:

. you can't put EF-S lens on full frame camera (any of 5D or R5/6).

I agree that you cannot put an APS-C lens on any FF Canon DSLR, but you CAN put an EF-S lens on the R-series bodies because you are attaching they via the EF-Rf adapter.

I have done this myself to prove the point and if you were to look in the Canon R5 or R6 manuals they clearly state that by attaching a crop lens, the camera will automatically reduce the area of the sensor viewing the projected image by the crop factor squared. This is a direct copy of the relevent table from the Canon manual for the R6.

R6 Manual on Cropping.jpg

I disagree with their term Angle of View - which is measured in degrees of arc, what they should be calling the metric is Field of View (FoV), being an equivalent focal length in essence

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

point taken but OP still only has EF lenses.  don't know why EF-S came into the picture.

-jaewoo

@jaewoosong wrote:

point taken but OP still only has EF lenses.  don't know why EF-S came into the picture.

Actually neither do I!  Smiley Very Happy  Still, it is a useful piece of information and a bit of a turn-around from Canon who are now following the same path as Nikon has done in that respect.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements