cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black "crack" on edge of photos | Canon 6D Mark ii

riley1bk
Apprentice

My Canon 6Dii started showing this little black crack-like looking thing on the edge of each of my photos. I originally thought it was the lens, but tried multiple lenses and it shows up each time. 

You can see the "crack" less when it's at f1.4, but it really shows at f22.

Any thoughts as to what this may be and how I may be able to fix it? This camera has never been dropped and I just tried a sensor clean... nothing changed. I can't see anything when I look inside the camera.

Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 2.58.44 PM.png

6 REPLIES 6

Since you tried multiple lenses, it is probably lint or some other foreign object on your sensor assembly. The built in sensor cleaning only works when debris is loose and easily shaken off. 

If you do not feel comfortable manually cleaning your sensor assembly by hand, you will have to get a pro to do it or give you further evaluation. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find someone locally, if not, contact Canon support.

My cameras get stubborn objects on the sensor assembly from time to time and I use a dry sensor swab, made specifically for camera sensor cleaning, to gently wipe it off. It's really not that hard.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

That looks a broken shutter curtain. Cleaning the image sensor would remove dust. If it's still there it's more than likely a shutter curtain.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Indeed.  Start with a visual inspection (flashlight) and go from there.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

X2 also use Mirror lockup.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Peter
Authority
Authority

Seems like an insect on the sensor.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Given that it gets sharper when you stop down I would agree that it is likely an insect on your sensor at the very edge. Look closely.

Rocket Blower should take care of it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements