cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black foam light gasket pads inside EOS 5D, are they replaceable?

trossit
Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the black foam light gasket pads inside the light box of my 5D are replaceable?  You can see the black foam pad on the right of the attached photo is coming apart which could be adding black particles onto my focusing screen.  I see there are 2 small phillips head screws near these pads.  Any advice on what is the purpose of these pads and how to replace them? foam pads.jpg

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi trossit,

The EOS 5D is out of service life, so parts and repair options through Canon are no longer available for it. Through Canon support we are unable to provide you instructions on how to conduct repairs either. The only option through Canon is the Canon Upgrade Program.

This program allows you to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon camera for a discounted price and have it shipped via ground delivery. The cameras offered through this program carry a one year warranty. The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Saturday. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Hazel,

My 5D is in mint condition with very little shutter actuations.  I paid $250 dollars for it and for a camera that originally sold for over $3000 I think I did pretty good.  Its possible the Canon 5D uses a equivalent part that would retro fit into my 5D Mk I camera.  I hope I can find someone in this forum that has had success replacing this part.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Try uscamera-dot-com.

See if they have part CB1-9308 and -9309

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks JR!

The two part numbers got me on the right path.  So these are mirror cushions, good to know.  It looks like the black plate held in by the 2 small philips head screws comes out which will make this replacement much easier. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would think any local camera repair shop could fix that. I got it replaced on my F1n a couple years ago and it is from 1980!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs,

I am sure it would be an easy fix for a local camera shop but I have trust issues.  I would rather do it myself if possible.  It doesn't look too complicated.  This is a rare hardly used 5D Classic and I want it to be babied.

amfoto1
Authority

Those are probably also light seals, to prevent light leaking in through the viewfinder and causing problems in images.

It is common for those to degrade when they get old and they are a very standard service item that virtually any local camera repair shop can replace for relatively little cost. No need to order special parts or even spend on shipping if there's a shop near you (if you don't know of a repair shop, maybe call some local professional photographers and ask if they can recommend one).

I advise against trying to replace them yourself. It's a fairly delicate job that takes a little practice and care. Working inside the mirror box of the camera there is a lot of stuff that can get messed up very easily with one slip of a tool.

Most people's first few DIY camera repairs end up making paper weights out of the cameras! For that reason I recommend only practicing even the simplest sounding jobs on a camera that has little to no value and that you really don't care to ever use again.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Use quality screwdrivers with hardened tips as it's easy to strip to screw heads.  Also magnetize the tip as I've dropped a tiny screw in the body when trying to remove broken black foam piece between prism and focusing screen on my old 7D.  I've done multiple DIY cleanings/repairs to my DSLRs over the years that got me asking "why did I just do that and not leave well alone?"  Some I was able to fix but others, I had to send to canon repair for out of warranty cleaning.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Jae,

Will Canon still service a Canon 5D Mk I?  Built in 2006?

Announcements