cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic sensor cleaning and ON/OFF switch usage

John_SD
Whiz

Two questions, gents. One, on my RP, I have gone with the default of automatic sensor cleaning when I shut off the camera. The issue is that to conserve power, I shut my camera off whenever I am done taking photos, which accounts for many on/off activations. During a 3 or 4 hour session, I do this many times, thus invoking the sensor cleaning each time. I'm thinking of making this an "on demand" selection, as I don't see the need for it every time I turn off the camera. What are your thoughts?

And two, speaking of turning the camera on and off frequently, should I be concernend with wearing out the on/off wheel? No problems at all right now, as the camera is still pretty new, but is it something to be wary of over time?

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

On DSLRs with the cleaning feature, if you wait until the camera shuts down to stand=by, then turning off the power does not initiate a cleaning cycle.  Of course, there will be a cleaning cycle when you turn the switch back on.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

It uses a little bit of additional power to clean the sensor but compared to the other uses it really won't impact charge life.  But it doesn't need cleaning every time you turn it off and if you aren't changing lenses regularly or shooting during a dust storm you could go to an on demand system.

I think the minimum rating I have seen for a power switch spec is 50,000 cycles and most are well north of that spec so the switch should be fine and you are more likely to wear the control wheel or lettering than actually damage the switch mechanism or electrical contacts .  But for convenience, I would instead use the auto power off settings to match your typical shooting behavior and let those manage camera power for you which is what Canon intended.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

It uses a little bit of additional power to clean the sensor but compared to the other uses it really won't impact charge life.  But it doesn't need cleaning every time you turn it off and if you aren't changing lenses regularly or shooting during a dust storm you could go to an on demand system.

I think the minimum rating I have seen for a power switch spec is 50,000 cycles and most are well north of that spec so the switch should be fine and you are more likely to wear the control wheel or lettering than actually damage the switch mechanism or electrical contacts .  But for convenience, I would instead use the auto power off settings to match your typical shooting behavior and let those manage camera power for you which is what Canon intended.

Rodger

Thanks. I've tried invoking the automatic power-off settings, but they didn't seem to work as expected, and not as a DSLR would normally work. As the RP is mirrorless and uses an EVF, it senses when you put the camera up too your eye and the EVF comes on. The way I carry my camera in the field via cross-body on my Peak Design strap, it brushes against my torso and thinks I have it up to my eye. Thus, the EVF stays on. I'll experiment with some other time-out settings and see if they make a difference, as I would prefer not to activate the on/off switch so often. 

Hopefully Canon will address that EVF created turn on issue via a firmware update to provide some options, I can see where that would be an issue given your activity type and level.  It sounds like the camera version of cell phone "butt" dialing.

I really don't think you will hurt the switch electrically by frequent use but not knowing what materials are used for the control and the label, they may show unusual wear over time.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@John_SD wrote:

@wq9nsc wrote:

Thanks. I've tried invoking the automatic power-off settings, but they didn't seem to work as expected, and not as a DSLR would normally work. As the RP is mirrorless and uses an EVF, it senses when you put the camera up too your eye and the EVF comes on. The way I carry my camera in the field via cross-body on my Peak Design strap, it brushes against my torso and thinks I have it up to my eye. Thus, the EVF stays on. I'll experiment with some other time-out settings and see if they make a difference, as I would prefer not to activate the on/off switch so often. 

I don't understand.  Why is your camera powered up as you walk around?  Shouldn't the camera "time out" and shut itself down.  One should need to press the shutter to wake it back up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements