cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acclimation to Weather

WIPhotoGuy
Apprentice

Hello Good People

I am a new member and recently received a Rebel T6 for Christmas, I am ecstatic!

Can someone please tell me if I need to acclimate the camera/lens to the cold weather prior to use? If so, how long?

Cold weather = below 32 degrees (freezing) and/or is there a higher temperature point that the camera/lens may need to still be acclimated to?

Any input is very appreciated !

Thank You!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tim
Authority

WIPhotoGuy, 

The operating range of the camera is 32- 105 degrees Fahrenheit.  Anything outside that range and operation is not guaranteed.  If you're taking this in and out of controlled environments, you may want to place the equipment in plastic bags to avoid condensation from forming on the equipment.   

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings WIPhotoGuy,

All of Tim's information is correct.  Normal operating temps are 32~105*

The Camera will work in temps below 32*.  I'm heading to Alaska this year myself, but won't be in freezing conditions  LoL. 

What I recommend.

Carry 2-3 fully charged batteries.  Keep these warm and in a pocket near your body.  The batteries ability to deliver consistent power diminishes as the temp drops, so many cold weather shooters swap their batteries frequently during a shoot in extreme weather.

Tim's bag recommendation.  This is important.  Be prepared.  Big ziploc.  Put your grear in a bag, remove air and seal before bringing the camera back into a warm environment.  Safe to remove after acclamation.  Not trying to panic you, just take reasonable steps to protect your gear from moisture. You'll be fine.  We look forward to seeing pics of your snowman!!     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tim
Authority

WIPhotoGuy, 

The operating range of the camera is 32- 105 degrees Fahrenheit.  Anything outside that range and operation is not guaranteed.  If you're taking this in and out of controlled environments, you may want to place the equipment in plastic bags to avoid condensation from forming on the equipment.   

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Tim

Thank You for the reply, I did read in the OM the procedure you described about protecting the camera from condensation.

It didn't really address the procedure of taking the camera from a warm situation into a cold/freezing situation. Your comment did state the actual operatiing temperature range.That will be the answer I have to settle with unfourtunately. I have joined a small local on-line photo club whose members are constantly posting winter scenes. I am guessing these are at or below 32 degrees. Did I buy the wrong camera for this type of application?

Thank You

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings WIPhotoGuy,

All of Tim's information is correct.  Normal operating temps are 32~105*

The Camera will work in temps below 32*.  I'm heading to Alaska this year myself, but won't be in freezing conditions  LoL. 

What I recommend.

Carry 2-3 fully charged batteries.  Keep these warm and in a pocket near your body.  The batteries ability to deliver consistent power diminishes as the temp drops, so many cold weather shooters swap their batteries frequently during a shoot in extreme weather.

Tim's bag recommendation.  This is important.  Be prepared.  Big ziploc.  Put your grear in a bag, remove air and seal before bringing the camera back into a warm environment.  Safe to remove after acclamation.  Not trying to panic you, just take reasonable steps to protect your gear from moisture. You'll be fine.  We look forward to seeing pics of your snowman!!     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick
Thank you so much! Facing forward I was not aware of what to do. Looking back your tips are exactly the type of information that will not only help me but others that may have the same concerns.

Going into the cold, your battery life will drop quickly so be prepared for that with your T6.  Try to avoid getting your camera wet, cold dry snow quickly removed will be OK but mixed precip can be bad news.

The bigger concern is when you take it back into a warm area because any moisture in the air will be attracted to and precipitate out on the cold surfaces of your camera.  Put it into a sealed, moisture proof bag before bringing it inside and give it plenty of time to warm up before opening the bag.  You can put it near (NOT on) the vent from a forced air central air/heating system but do NOT use any sort of rapid warming process (direct exposure to infrared heater, heat gun, etc.) because extremely rapid temperature changes aren't good for anything.

I use 1 series cameras and have frequently gone from a warm house or car into below freezing temperature and the camera handles it well and doesn't complain like me.  But if you keep your house at 90 degrees and live in N. Dakota then your camera might not like that shock any more than your body!

Cameras are tools meant to be used to provide enjoyment.  While you don't want to abuse your camera system or treat it poorly, it makes no sense to worry so much that you can't fully use it.  Cameras aren't cheap but they aren't alive and can always be repaired or replaced unlike people and pets.  Have fun with your new T6 and use it to the fullest.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"Tim's bag recommendation.  This is important.  Be prepared.  Big ziploc.  Put your grear in a bag, remove air and seal before bringing the camera back into a warm environment.  Safe to remove after acclamation.  Not trying to panic you, just take reasonable steps to protect your gear from moisture. You'll be fine.  We look forward to seeing pics of your snowman!! "

The advice to carry spare batteries should also apply to plastic bags.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
With the exception of extra batteries, I don’t do any special procedures. Never did and not starting now. I have never had a problem. Although the T6 doesn’t have the build of my 1 series, you may want to.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements