cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90D pdf manual is locked

kleeberg
Apprentice

I recently purchased a canon 90 D and downloaded the manual. The manual is locked by a password so it does not allow me to create bookmarks or highlight areas that I wish to revisit. I am also cannot save my place in the manual. Is there a way that I can get this unlocked?  This was not true for the manual of the 70 D.

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

This is not true for any manual I have downloaded. Where did you download it from?

Try here:

user-manual-library 

@kvbarkley wrote:

This is not true for any manual I have downloaded. Where did you download it from?

Try here:

user-manual-library 

It was true for the 1D X manual (2012 vintage).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kleeberg
Apprentice

kvbarkley,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had downloaded it from the Cannon site  Just in case, I followed your link, put in my camera model, downloaded it it again and when I go to modify the document, I get this message:

"Without the owner password, you do not have permission to create or modify annotations in the document."

I tried exporting it to PDF and the copy was locked.  I wonder what the password is and why it is locked?

It is not uncommon for manufacturer’s to protect their documentation from editing.  It prevents the content from being copied and resold for a profit on the black market.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It is odd that I own the camera but do not own the manual?  And, since this is free to download from their website, I do not understand how it could be sold for a profit..

There are plenty of web sites that sell owner manuals for a small fee, especially older ones.  Or, people will copy the content to create a “Blah For Dummies” type of book, and sell it.  People will go to great lengths to make a profit off of the intellectual content made by someone else.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings kleeberg,

Canon does offer the user guide for our cameras free of charge. The documents are for viewing only and they cannot be modified for copyright protection. This would prevent the creation of bookmarks or highlights since it's considered modification to the PDF file. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

That is disappointing. On my 70D, I was able to have the manual on my iPad and iPhone so I could jump to areas of interest or notes I had taken while I was using the camera. I can still access the manual but it is far less convenient.

Announcements