cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D selector wheel

Steinhad
Contributor

This morning while shooting in manual mode, I went to adjust shutter speed, but the wheel/dial would not make the adjustment.  However, the dial on my grip worked fine.  I am unaware of any thing that may have happened to the camera since it’s last use (last night).  Any thoughts or insight for this?  Is there a menu option for this?

thanks for your attention.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yep, I learned that with batteries!
Thanks so much. Very helpful information.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have the lock lever selected to lock by accident?

That's a great observation, 5DIV!  I would have never thought of that (i never use the lock).  

However, the lock was not activated.  I DID remove the battery for a half-hour, and when i put it back in the camera, the dial worked just fine!  No idea what might have happened, but it seems to be working correctly at this time.

Again, thanks for that insightful suggestion!

Dan

@Steinhad wrote:

That's a great observation, 5DIV!  I would have never thought of that (i never use the lock).  

However, the lock was not activated.  I DID remove the battery for a half-hour, and when i put it back in the camera, the dial worked just fine!  No idea what might have happened, but it seems to be working correctly at this time.

Again, thanks for that insightful suggestion!

Dan

If it happens again, try removing the grip for a while. The fact that the wheel on the grip works doesn't necessarily mean that the grip isn't interfering in some way. Grips, especially 3rd-party grips, sometimes have strange effects.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"However, the dial on my grip worked fine."    "... mean that the grip isn't interfering in some way."

If it is a third party grip remove and discard it.  Hope it did not damage the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

yes, it is a 3rd party grip.  Have had it about two years and has never given me trouble.  

I'll take your concern seriously though!  Thanks for passing that on.

If you had called Canon instead of us they would have told you to remove it and don't use it anymore.

EB

well, I guess that's no surprise!

Seriously, how would an aftermarket grip cause issues?  This is a real question, I don't know!

"This is a real question, I don't know!"

OK, the answer is not Canon nor any other camera manufacturer document how their cameras work.  This means the third party vendors have to guess how.  Sometimes they get it right or close enough but not always. Sometimes it can be dangerous to the camera. Usually not but it happens.

The only accessories guaranteed to work on a Canon camera are made by Canon.  You see this most often in the after market lens world.  They seem to get lenses pretty close but again not all of them work as they should.  It is best to stick to all Canon unless there is a valid reason not to.  I.E. Canon doesn't make, for instance, the lens I want was such as the 150-600mm super zoom category of lenses.

It is common for off brand batteries to be pretty crappy and, the off brand chargers too.

EB

Yep, I learned that with batteries!
Thanks so much. Very helpful information.
Announcements