cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D for PAL Video at 25 and 50 fps jittery problems

lefteris
Contributor

Hi there,

I bought a 80d some months ago and I have a specific problem which I do not know how to solve it.

I bought this camera for videos in PAL mode.

When I'm filming something, especially cars on the road, at 25fps or 50fps the produced video is very jerky!

The same problem also when I'm trying a very short move by hand or with travelling equipment.

BUT

When I'm filming the same road with cars at 30fps or 60fps the produced video is very smooth. Especially at 60fps the footage is amazingly smooth. Unfortunately I did not buy that camera for videos in NTSC mode!

Shutter speeds: 25/50, 50/100, 30/60, 60/125

Any idea?

12 REPLIES 12

Stephen

Hi lefteris!

Thanks for reaching out to Canon USA!

Here in the USA, we only have experience in NTSC. If you're outside the USA, you might want to reach out to support in your country for advice. You'll find support options HERE.

If you're in the USA and have questions, reach out to support at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

Thank you for your time. I am searching for an answer. I think that this is a general problem. I live in Europe, but a product is a product. If someone turns his mode in PAL he will see that. I have to find a solution.

@lefteris wrote:

Hi there,

I bought a 80d some months ago and I have a specific problem which I do not know how to solve it.

I bought this camera for videos in PAL mode.

When I'm filming something, especially cars on the road, at 25fps or 50fps the produced video is very jerky!

The same problem also when I'm trying a very short move by hand or with travelling equipment.

BUT

When I'm filming the same road with cars at 30fps or 60fps the produced video is very smooth. Especially at 60fps the footage is amazingly smooth. Unfortunately I did not buy that camera for videos in NTSC mode!

Shutter speeds: 25/50, 50/100, 30/60, 60/125

Any idea?

I know nothing about video, but I wonder if the problem is related to the fact that in most of Europe alternating current is delivered at 50 Hz. Conceivably the video could be competing with the flicker rate of the monitor or the room's ambient light. In the U.S., where AC is delivered at 60 Hz, we're sometimes advised not to set the flicker rate of our monitors to 60 Hz.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you for your response. So you are saying that this is a monitor's issue and not an error (in the camera) with the frame rate.

@lefteris wrote:
Thank you for your response. So you are saying that this is a monitor's issue and not an error (in the camera) with the frame rate.

I think I'm saying more that it's a possibility to be ruled out, rather than a likely solution to yuor problem. If changing the refresh rate of your monitor doesn't help, then you have to look elsewhere.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have contacted to a photo-video repair service in greece. Iam waiting their response. Thank you Robert!

PaulSoebekti
Enthusiast

"When I'm filming the same road with cars at 30fps or 60fps the produced video is very smooth. Especially at 60fps the footage is amazingly smooth. Unfortunately I did not buy that camera for videos in NTSC mode!"

Did you buy the camera in the USA where all video & camera equipment are compliant NTSC devices?

It being a NTSC device will not turn a video to PAL when recorded in 25/50 fps. Those settings are used to produce 'a slow motion effect' during playback.

The answer is to use a native PAL device. Or, where available, a double standard device - i.e. one that have the ability to switch from PAL to NTSC as required.

The 3rd option is to have the video transfered to PAL mode ...

Paul

Hi Paul.
How can I transfer my video footage to PAL mode? Give me some more info please.

Where are you seeing the jerkyness? If it is on a PAL screen via cable from the camera, the camera might be set to display in NTSC.

Announcements