cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7d Mark ll Error 01

DaveBrown
Apprentice
I purchased a 7d Mark ll from KEH last week. The first day everything was fine. The next days I got an error 01 with my canon 300mm f4. I also got the error on my canon 70-200mm L. Oddly I tried a Sigma 105 macro and it was fine.

So I continued to test I got the error off and on and it was sometimes resolved by taking the battery out and replacing it or even by half depressing the shutter button several times. It seemed to happen most often during a burst at max FPS.

So I tried a couple of my friends Canon lenses and I did not get the error so I never knew what to think. Later that day I got the error again with my 300f4 but it resolved itself.

So yesterday I purchased a Canon 100-400 ll. I tested it briefly that evening and things seemed normal. Then this morning I turn the camera on and error 01 and now I get error 01 on all my lenses and it is not resolving itself.

I have tried cleaning lens and camera contacts. I have also checked the contact pins on the camera body and they all seem to be functioning, none of them are stuck and the locking pin seems fine as well.

It would appear that the lens will be going back to Keh for repair or replacement.

Can anyone offer any advice, anything to try in the mean time? I also checked and the firmware is the most recent 1.1.2

Thanks,

Dave
6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"It would appear that the lens will be going back to Keh for repair or replacement."

I'm guessing you mean camera; I would agree.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would try the lenses on another camera body.  Most likely, the day 7D2 is defective.  Get a refund. NOW.  Check out the Canon Online Refurbished Store, which offers a factory backed, one year warranty on camera bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@DaveBrown wrote:
I purchased a 7d Mark ll from KEH last week. The first day everything was fine. The next days I got an error 01 with my canon 300mm f4. I also got the error on my canon 70-200mm L. Oddly I tried a Sigma 105 macro and it was fine.

So I continued to test I got the error off and on and it was sometimes resolved by taking the battery out and replacing it or even by half depressing the shutter button several times. It seemed to happen most often during a burst at max FPS.

So I tried a couple of my friends Canon lenses and I did not get the error so I never knew what to think. Later that day I got the error again with my 300f4 but it resolved itself.

So yesterday I purchased a Canon 100-400 ll. I tested it briefly that evening and things seemed normal. Then this morning I turn the camera on and error 01 and now I get error 01 on all my lenses and it is not resolving itself.

I have tried cleaning lens and camera contacts. I have also checked the contact pins on the camera body and they all seem to be functioning, none of them are stuck and the locking pin seems fine as well.

It would appear that the lens will be going back to Keh for repair or replacement.

Can anyone offer any advice, anything to try in the mean time? I also checked and the firmware is the most recent 1.1.2

Thanks,

Dave

Why the lens? Haven't you pretty conclusively pinned the blame on the camera body? And I'd be tempted to wonder if it had ever gotten wet.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@DaveBrown wrote:

Why the lens? Haven't you pretty conclusively pinned the blame on the camera body? And I'd be tempted to wonder if it had ever gotten wet.

I think John has pretty much nailed it.  The OP probably meant camera body, not lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

DaveBrown
Apprentice
Yes, I meant to say the camera has to go back not the lens! KEH have been good with replies and have offered to repair, replace or refund. I might just opt for the refund and fork just the extra $750 and buy one locally. The cheapest this camera can be had new in Canada is $2300 (tax incl) and I only paid $1650 for this camera with just 3000 activations, so it seemed like a good deal. I need a camera ASAP though and I doubt this will be resolved within a month.

I have two 7D-II bodies, and use the same exact Canon lenses as you do.  I have not had the problem you describe.  I also suspect something amiss with the body, not the lenses. You might want to check prices for used equipment at LensRental.com, where I currently see used 7D-II bodies starting at $630 (USD).

Announcements