cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7DM2 Lens Aberration Correction does it affect RAW image or just jpegs?

GL2U
Apprentice

New 7DM2. If Lens Aberration Correction is enabled in menu does it affect the RAW image as well as any jpegs or just any jpegs that are created? My new camera first stoopid question!! Did not find answer in manual!!

EOS 5D, 7DMII, 16-35 F2.8L, 24-105 F4/L, 70-200 F2.8L, EF-S10-22 F3.5/4.5
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There are no stupid questions hereSmiley Happy

Lens corrections will be applied to JPEG and recognized in RAW if you use Canon DPP. If you use Lightroom or any other non-Canon software they are not recognized.  Lightroom does have its own set of Canon lens correction profiles.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

You can use DPP in conjunction with PSE. Open the raw file in DPP, use the Digital Lens Optimizer in DPP, export a TIFF and then import into PSE. A little clunky, but it works.

There are philosophical issues some folks have with the Adobe software "rental" business model, but if that doesn't bother you the $10/month Photographer Bundle gives you Lightroom and Photoshop. A great deal.

If that interests you I think there is a 30 day refund policy for PSE. You can always call Adobe and see what you can negotiate if you are interested.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Again if you have examples of what you say, I would love to see them.  This is my thing right now.  I am truly interested in what you may have found.  Show me!  Give me samples where DLO is better than ACR.

My posting two or three pictures really doesn't show anything. There are too many varibles in RAW conversion for anyone to post two meaningful photos.

Just like your bird photos, the one processed with the Adobe product could be made to look like the one processed in Canon Digital Photo Professional and visa versa. That only shows you like the default values of one product over the other.

The same applies to DLO and Adobes lens correction tools. The only way for you to see what DLO can do is to take your own photos and experiment with different strength settings. Just like I never leave the sharpening mask in LR at its default, I typically don't leave the DLO setting at its default. 

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Since you appear to be quoting perceptual megapixels used by a certain review site."

Yes sir you are correct there.  I have stated many times I do not like or use that site very often but some lab measurements can be telling.  I am comparing the newest versions of each lens.  That is what I have in my hands and what I actually use.  I use them primarily on my 1Ds Mk III.  That is the camera I use to judge my conclusions on.  Since my retirement I have probably bought and sold three dozen lenses.  But in this case, the Siggy and the Canon I have kept.  I will never sell the Canon.  It is that good.  I have about six or seven lenses that have found a permanent home.

If you are a fan of 'that site' did you read their conclusion .....

"Even though the competition still beats the Sigma 70-200mm across the board (as noted above), when we compare the newer version versus the older version of the same Sigma lens, ..."

BTW, if you want the best third party 70-200mm f2.8 it is without a bit of doubt the Tamron version that is labeled A009.  Not there first atempt of a 70-200.  This is not any web sites opinion.  That is mine, with hands on use.

My original statement was 

. . . since Canon's release of DLO, I wish I had spent the extra money on Canon lenses. While there is little difference between lenses like the EF 70-200 f/2.8 (original) and the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM without DLO, when DLO is applied there is a noticeable improvement for the EF lenses. That degree of improvement just isn't there when using Adobe products. 

If I were starting over knowing what I know now, I would have stuck with Canon lenses, and forgone the third party lenses. 

I was specifically talking about a lens purchase decision I made. And how Canon's release of Digital Lens Optimizer would have changed my decision process if I were to do it again. At the time in the mid to late 2000's there didn't seem to be a reason to spend the extra money on the Canon version, the Sigma version was just as good on MY camera, better according to another popular digital photography review site. 

Yes, Canon's second generation IS L lenses are unparalleled. And, even Canon's consumer STM lens of today hold up very well when compared to older L lenses and third party lenses. But, that fact completely misses the point I was making.

Actually I thought I had found a person that liked to share this type photography past time and back and forth but apparently not.

I fully understand if you don't want to do so.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Lightroom and PSE14 are not the same program.   They do similar things but not exactly the same.  For a 'normal' non-pro photographer PSE is most likely the better choice.  It has many if not all the features LR has.  LR is more designed for the pro photographer that shoots thousands upon thousands of photos.  It does not have all the editing features that PSE14 has.

Plus PSE has many of the same features that full blown Photoshop has.  Remember the more features and controls any software has the less user friendly it is or one click control it has.

IMHO, DPP4 is a good program but is "not ready for prime time" yet.  It is getting better and has a better sharpening routine than Adobe's.  Again, IMHO, I prefer Adobe's RAW converter (ACR9) over Canon's own as does 95% of the professional photographic industry.

EB

Lightroom does support lens aberration (chromatic aberration) correction.  You'll find it in the "Develop" module in the right margin under the "Lens Correction" panel.  Within that panel there's a checkbox to turn on profile correction and chromatic aberration correction correction.  

This assumes Adobe has made a profile for that particular lens.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

And LR supports lenses that are made by other manufactures.  DPP does not.

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The DPP->Photoshop export does convert the DPP file with all processing to a TIFF. I haven't tried recently, but in the past it didn't work with Elements, only full PS.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements