cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

damgood
Contributor

First: I am in I.T.. I have Googled & Binged many troubleshooting options, including all possible "turn it off & back on", "plug it into another port", & "reinstall the driver" (yes, there is a driver: the MTP driver). I am on Windows 10 (everything on newest updates) 

 

The camera is simply not there. It doesn't appear in Explorer, none of the software (Bridge, EOS Utility, Lightroom, etc) recognizes that it exists at all. It was working fine, but I joined my work domain which requires making a new user account. After that, nothing. I can't even get the EOS Utility to recognize it over WiFi anymore (that might be due to the domain join, but wired connect should work).

 

I have tried everythig I can find, including this little nugget: http://bit.ly/2pSeTJl

 

Please send help & coffee! 😉

Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell
57 REPLIES 57

TTMartin
Authority

@damgood wrote:

First: I am in I.T.. I have Googled & Binged many troubleshooting options, including all possible "turn it off & back on", "plug it into another port", & "reinstall the driver" (yes, there is a driver: the MTP driver). I am on Windows 10 (everything on newest updates) 

 

The camera is simply not there. It doesn't appear in Explorer, none of the software (Bridge, EOS Utility, Lightroom, etc) recognizes that it exists at all. It was working fine, but I joined my work domain which requires making a new user account. After that, nothing. I can't even get the EOS Utility to recognize it over WiFi anymore (that might be due to the domain join, but wired connect should work).

 

I have tried everythig I can find, including this little nugget: http://bit.ly/2pSeTJl

 

Please send help & coffee! 😉


Does it appear in Windows Device Manager?

@TTMartin: It does not. Thanks for your reply though! The computer is acting as if nothing is plugged in at all. No pop-ups, no driver install prompt, bubkiss. It is not detected as an imaging device, storage device, or even as anything attached to the USB bus. That last point made me suspect the cable, but I've tested it & it works fine with a number of other devices.


Incidentally, what should it be detected as? An imaging device? That & a storage device?


Once or twice—when attempting to connect via WiFi—the camera popped up in the "EOS Pairing Software" window for a split second. I was unable to pair it before it disappeared though.


I know Canon will want to point the finger at Microsoft & I know Microsoft (should I post on their support forums) would also want to point the finger at Canon. In my humble opinion (which is usually pretty accurate in such matters) there are three distinct possibilities:

  1. (somewhat unlikely) Something is amiss with the camera itself
  2. (less unlikely) The EOS Utility is going wonky with the 7D MkII
  3. (probably the most likely culprit) the firmware has another bug

I have tested the USB cable on other devices & it works fine.


I don't have another computer here with me to test the "it's Microsoft's fault" theory, but I will when I am able (probably later today). In the meantime I am totally open to sugestions including any kind of magic, hokum, or witchdoctoring that may fix the problem.


P.S.: Having finally got the remote shooting working on my Android—which was broken due to a bug in the 1.1.1 firmware that only arose when it was updated from 1.0.2 or below—I am inclined to think that it is another audacious bug that Canon will have to remedy themselves. Robot Sad

Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell

P.P.S.: I just wanted to add that I have (naturally) uninstalled/reinsttalled the EOS utility (with a freshly downloaded copy) to no avail.

Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell

 

1; install all EOS software onto computer

 

2; take out the WiFi card with the camera switched off.

 

3;attach computer cable from camera to computer

 

4;switch on camera

 

5; all should be well as this is also documented in the manual.... camera will NOT BE RECOGNISED with the WiFi card in the camera. 


@damgood wrote:

@TTMartin: It does not. Thanks for your reply though! The computer is acting as if nothing is plugged in at all. No pop-ups, no driver install prompt, bubkiss. It is not detected as an imaging device, storage device, or even as anything attached to the USB bus. That last point made me suspect the cable, but I've tested it & it works fine with a number of other devices.

 

Incidentally, what should it be detected as? An imaging device? That & a storage device?

 

Once or twice—when attempting to connect via WiFi—the camera popped up in the "EOS Pairing Software" window for a split second. I was unable to pair it before it disappeared though.

 

I know Canon will want to point the finger at Microsoft & I know Microsoft (should I post on their support forums) would also want to point the finger at Canon. In my humble opinion (which is usually pretty accurate in such matters) there are three distinct possibilities:

  1. (somewhat unlikely) Something is amiss with the camera itself
  2. (less unlikely) The EOS Utility is going wonky with the 7D MkII
  3. (probably the most likely culprit) the firmware has another bug

I have tested the USB cable on other devices & it works fine.

 

I don't have another computer here with me to test the "it's Microsoft's fault" theory, but I will when I am able (probably later today). In the meantime I am totally open to sugestions including any kind of magic, hokum, or witchdoctoring that may fix the problem.

 

P.S.: Having finally got the remote shooting working on my Android—which was broken due to a bug in the 1.1.1 firmware that only arose when it was updated from 1.0.2 or below—I am inclined to think that it is another audacious bug that Canon will have to remedy themselves. Robot Sad


While I can't provide a "solution" to your problem, I can provide a data point: My Lenovo laptop, running Windows 10 Pro, has no problem seeing, and communicating with, my wife's 7D2. Does that mean you've got something set wrong? I don't know. But if the shoe fits, wear it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

After completely reinstalling ("refreshing") Windows, I am still unable to pull up the 7D Mk2. I'm thinking that the camera's USB interface is bad. There is absolutely no other explanation since 1) Nobody else is having a similar problem & 2) None of the "standard issue" troubleshooting has produced any results whatsoever.
Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell


@damgood wrote:
After completely reinstalling ("refreshing") Windows, I am still unable to pull up the 7D Mk2. I'm thinking that the camera's USB interface is bad. There is absolutely no other explanation since 1) Nobody else is having a similar problem & 2) None of the "standard issue" troubleshooting has produced any results whatsoever.

Have you tried it on a different computer? If, as you suspect, the problem is a bad USB interface on the camera, it should fail on any computer, shouldn't it? You indicated earlier that you were able to join your computer to your work domain. That suggests that you have enough clout at work to appropriate an additional computer for such a test.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I feel your pain. I have a 7D and the 7D mark 2. The 7D is recognised by Windows 10 on my PC and Windows 7 Pro on my Laptop. The 7D mark 2 is only recognised on my Windpws 7 Laptop and NOT my Windows 10 PC. Same cables as supplied with each camera, same USB ports. Does Canon have an answer or do I go to Microsoft?

 

I have set my autoplay to "Ask me every Time" and all the other options as well. Also in the autoplay list of All Media & Devices, I see the 7D and 2 entries for the 7D mark 2!. I'm begining to think there is no resolution to this problem. I have not found a remedy that works so far. I am only using the CF card and don't use the WiFi card supplied with the camera.

 

I hear the 4 beeps tune when I connect the camera and the 3 beep tune when I disconnect the cammera, but no ther action is noticed. My main reason nfor wanting the 7D mark 2 to be recognised by Windows 10 is, I use a great software program to read the shutter count, as Canon insists that this is be a secret - why? I don't know - other camera makes give easy access to this information and even include it their image EXIF data. Can anyone help?

Try manually starting the EOS Utility 3 for the 7D Mark II.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements
01/18/2023: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for EOS R6 Mark II
01/09/2023: Help ensure your autofocus is properly aligned with a Canon Precision Alignment
01/03/2023: Welcome to CES 2023!
12/08/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS C70
12/07/2022: New firmware version 1.7.0 is available for EOS R5
12/07/2022: New firmware version 1.7.0 is available for EOS R6
11/22/2022: New firmware available for EOS R3, EOS R7 and EOS R10
11/16/2022: We're thrilled to be ranked among the Best Employers for Veterans in 2022 by Forbes.
08/31/2022: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for RF 70-200mm L IS USM
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 300
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 500
07/14/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1 is available for CR-X300
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.