cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

700d External mic problem

Ravens
Apprentice

Hi

I am trying to run an external mic into my 700d (RebelT5i) I have a RODE Podmic which is analogue XLR. I have fitted an XLR to 3.5mm TRS which all seems to fit correctly. 

When I go to the cameras video menu and select manual sound recording, I can see that I get a response from the mic, I can set a visible level for incoming audio and on the indicator bars everything seems to be ok. 

When I record however, all I get for sound is heavy background noise and no audio. If I tap the mic, the background noise gets quieter or "dips" when I do. Kind of the inverse of what one would expect. 

Can anyone help with this? Is my equipment right or is there a setting I'm not seeing?

With thanks. 

1 REPLY 1

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Won't that mic need some kind of preamp? From their web site, it mentions that to connect that mic to a computer, you'd need to pair it with their AI-1 product (pre-amp unit).

Usually a mic that connects via XLR requires phantom power.   The Podmic doesn't do that and your camera wouldn't be able to supply phantom power anyhow.

Other mics can be powered via batteries and so they'd be apply to supply enough signal output to be recorded properly.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements