cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d battery drain

Sad6duser
Contributor

I placed a freshly charged canon battery into my 6d and left the power off for 24 hours. The GPS and wifi are off. After 24 Hrs. the battery was down to 33%. This is outrageous. None of the reviews I researched discuss this. Exactly what does OFF really mean these days. Is my camera defective or is this Canon standard design?

29 REPLIES 29

Boogieman0
Apprentice

My 6d stays up for weeks and probably alot longer i just dont go that long between uses. so thats not normal. the only thing i know of is the gps that will drain it that quick.

I have GPS and WIFI disabled. 

The only issue we have heard so far about the 6D is that if you leave the GPS on, it will drain battery even if the camera is OFF. So be certain that your GPS is off. Otherwise, you may have a faulty battery. Have you tried to fully charge the battery, then leave it out of the camera for a day, then put it back into the camera to seel how much it has been drained. Also, go into the battery info section of the camera, how does the battery rating? Is this a genuine Canon battery or  OEM?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Through my testing of my 6D with canon and Tamron lenses indicate that even with GPS and WIFI disabled, a non canon lense will cause serius battery drain with power off. For me a Tamron lense cause 70% battery drain in about 12 hrs. That's not acceptable for me so I contacted the vendor of the Tamron lens (B&H)  and they exchenge the lense for the canon version without a restock fee. I only paid the price difference. 

BjRollison
Apprentice

I have not experienced any unusual battery drain with my 6D

It is quite possible that your battery is defective and not holding its charge.

Some aftermarket batteries are notorious for fast charge/fast discharge (see reviews on Amazon, etc.)

Have you tried another battery?

If you tried a known good battery, and experience the same issue then I would recommend sending your camera in for servicing because you may have a "leak" in the electronics.

RobertFrei
Contributor

Mine has a canon L-series lens, but it drains even with the GPS off.  The battery holds a charge as long as it is not in the camera.  The battery can take over 500 raw shots on one charge, and as many as 1000 jpg files over the course of a day, but let it set turned off with a battery installed and it will be dead in 3 days.  Leave the battery outside of the camera and it will still have 95% or more charge after 5 days.

Is the camera defective?  Or is it just bad programming?  Is there a FIX - I am not interested in any more work-arounds.  I love the camera, the feels, the features and the great photos, so I would rather see this fixed by Canon. 

Hey. I just bought my new Canon 6D yesterday. And the same happened to me in the first night!

I have a 17-40mm L lens on the thing. It was fully charged when i went to bed and turned the Camera Off (alongside Wifi and gps ofcourse) . I woke up in the morning wanted to turn the Camera back on but it did nothing. didnt even try to turn itself on. After i fully charged the Battery everything seemed to work again. Have been using the camera for about 8 hours now. (take a photo every now and then)  and the battery is still at 96%. Tonight i will try and take the lens off and turn the camera off like that. I have been told that a short circuit in the lens might cause a drain. If its not the Lens then it has to be the battery or the Camera. 

To avoid confusion... swtiching the camera "off" does not disable the GPS.  If you use the GPS, then the GPS is on at all times -- even when the camera's power switch in the "off" position and this will cause a drain.

It should normally make sense that if you swtich off the main power switch then that means everything is "off" -- but that's not the case with the 6D.

Make sure you navigate into the menu system and specficially disable the GPS before switching it off.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

To avoid confusion... swtiching the camera "off" does not disable the GPS.  If you use the GPS, then the GPS is on at all times -- even when the camera's power switch in the "off" position and this will cause a drain.

It should normally make sense that if you swtich off the main power switch then that means everything is "off" -- but that's not the case with the 6D.

Make sure you navigate into the menu system and specficially disable the GPS before switching it off.

Sometimes I think I appreciate my 5D3 as much for what it doesn't have as for what it does.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements