cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d Liveview tacksharp, Eyeview fuzzy

dsullens
Contributor

I have Canon 6d with 3 different Canon lens'.  Regardless of the lens, shutter speed, F-stop, etc. my pictures are always significantly sharper in live view than when using the "eye view" mode. (I am using wireless remote control )
In my tests I am using a tripod and test target.  In addition I have run FoCal on my lens to see if the lens are improperly calibrated.

I have even switched to manual focus after focusing the target automatically under liveview and then switching to regular eye view mode and the results are always the same.  I have also tried mirror lock up under eye view mode and still not as clear as Live view

I sent my camera in to service to be looked at, but I am at a loss of what could be causing it..

I dont see how it could be focus related because I have focused the lens on the target using Liveview/AF and then switched to Eyefocus mode with MF..

The focal point should not change between Liveview and Eyeview right??

Not looking for a fix,( I already sent it in to be looked at). Just looking for an logical explanation as to how they could be different..

20 REPLIES 20

LiveViewLIVEView2843-50 mm1-160 sec at f - 4.5.jpg

EyeviewEye3814-50 mm1-160 sec at f - 4.5.jpg

Live!Live2843-50 mm1-160 sec at f - 4.5.jpg

Eye!eye3814-50 mm1-160 sec at f - 4.5.jpg

@dsullens wrote:

Eye!eye3814-50 mm1-160 sec at f - 4.5.jpg

Are you saying the eyeview photo above was focused in liveview, then switched to MF, and taken in 'eyeview' with mirror lock up, like you said in a previous post?

Autofocus was left on both times  (in these samples) 

Both shots: 50mm lens, ISO 800, F4.5, 1/160

Have you tried autofocus microadjustment? The images suggest to me that that's what's needed. The focus is correct in live view, because you're looking at what the sensor actually sees. But when you use the viewfinder, the focus mechanism has to emulate the sensor via separate hardware, because the mirror blocks access to the sensor itself. If the alternate light path is too long or too short, the resulting image will be OOF relative to the sensor.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes I have using a program called focal

Peter
Authority
Authority

Live view will focus slowly, but more correct. If you already sent it for service, they will check it for you.

Announcements