cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D shutter button not focusing or releasing shutter

ShutterPilot
Apprentice

Hello everyone!

I was shooting with my Canon 6D and suddenly shutter button stoped working. I was not able to focus, when button was half pressed and release shutter when fully pressed (even in MF mode).

At first I thought that my shutter had gone bad, but I was able to focus and relase shutter to take a picture with my smartphone connecting through Wi-Fi.

Then I thought that maybe the shutter button itself was broken, but when I press shutter button in live mode, it just goes back to regular. So the button must be working.

I have tried  reinstalling new firmware and reseting settings to default, nothing did work.

I would appreciate any help and tips, thank you in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have tried  reinstalling new firmware ..."

It isn't a FW issue so that won't help. Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It seems like canon had a way you could do a "hard reset", but I don't know how to do it.  Canon can help.

@CaliforniaDream wrote:

It seems like canon had a way you could do a "hard reset", but I don't know how to do it.  Canon can help.

I would suggest going into the Orange “Custom Functions” menu, which is found towards the far right.  Select C.Fn.III-5, press [SET], and reset the custom controls back to defaults by pressing the Garbage Can Icon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for suggestion!

But sadly resetting controls didn`t help.

Hi, 

did you ever figure out this issue? My 6D is doing the same. 

Thanks!

Hi,

I took my 6D to service, they told me that there were a problem with some kind of wire from power board. I guess it was a pretty easy fix for them.

Thanks! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

In the future don't jump to the reinstall the FW as a first action. Things like this are very rarely FW related. Plus trying to install FW on a malfunctioning camera can be disastrous.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements