cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D MkIII Tethering Problems

FrankNagy
Apprentice

Probably has been covered, having issues with tethering using LR4.3 (as well as C1, MacBook Pro. NEW 5D's!  A real frustrating upgrade!

LR & Camera locks up, connection lost, after complete re-start, works for 5-10 frames, lock up!  Tried diff cables, cameras and computers, no go.  Please don't ask if I have updated firmware and OS on Mac, have spent hours trying to find solution.

Have cable rigged to relive stress and movement (All the Right Stuff plate and cable harness), my own rigging (angled cables, stress relief.

The only thing I have not done is send the gear to Canon (CPS member)

Any Comments?

14 REPLIES 14

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I did not even know that was possible.  I thought you had to use the DNG converter to get one.  I have no idea how to change the default from CR2 to DNG or vice versa.

I have used LR for this for about 10+ years now.  I use active USB cables.  I have my assistant watching the 17" laptop while I do the shoot.  Teenagers, ya gotta love'em.

Trying to get the grandchildren hooked as potential photographers, eh Ernie?  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  OTHER than the fact that LR saves all my tethered RAW images and .DNG files and that's a problem."

I just got through shooting yearbook photos using LR 6.1 and all the files are saved as .CR2.  Not .DNG.

Well that's good to know... it means there's hope.  I thought I'd had looked for a way to change it but didn't see one.  

I avoid .DNG because while this was Adobe's attempt at creating an open standard for RAW files, nobody else adopted it.  That means mostly only Adobe software can read a .DNG and that really makes it harder if I need to open an image in other software.  Consequently I really prefer to use .CR2.  

I'll have to go look again... perhaps it was just defaulting to .DNG and I can override it with a preference (but I thought I had looked.)

Tim Campbell
5D II, 5D III, 60Da

Tim the forum will let me u/l a screen shot today.  Smiley Happy  Here is my folder from one of the yearbook shoots.  Using LR6.1 and tethering the 1Ds Mk III to my laptop.

111.jpg

This is how LR se up.  You can see they are all CR2.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks Ernie.  I did some checking and it looks like my tethered files in LR are actually coming in as .CR2.  

When I go into settings, it shows the File Handling settins offering choices of ".dng" or ".DNG" and it made me think my choices were "DNG" with an option to use upper or lower case.  I think this was probably Adobe's way of asking if you want upper or lower case and they show their own ".DNG" as an example.  That was leading me to believe it was converting my files.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Can I download the EOS utility as I have lost my disc that came with my EOS 5D Mark iii?

Jeff W Waldrop

Yes. Go here and download the EOS Solution Disk.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-5d-mark-iii?tab=d...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements