cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Markiii and a green color cast

wensisphoto
Apprentice

Does anyone else experience a green cast/tint to their images while shooting in JPG with a 5DMkiii? I shoot using AWB and have even adjusted the color on the quick screen histogram to try and compensate....but skintones consistantly look green. My monitor is calibrated and I've tried shooting using custom white balance and Kelvin. Nothing helps.

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I don't shoot JPEG, but did you check the "WB Shift/Bkt." option?  Perhaps you've somehow dialed in a color shift.

It's also possible to do this with Picture Styles.

Auto White Balance isn't always very reliable.  it's usually safer to use a custom white balance (with a gray card) or dial in the white balance to the type of lighting you are using.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ScottyP
Authority
Does it happen everywhere at all times? Inside, outside, day, night, fluorescent lights and mixed lighting, or does it happen sporadically?

White balance frustration is 1/2 the reason I always shoot RAW and not JPG. It alone is as big a factor as all the other reasons combined in my own thinking. So much more latitude to fix WB in RAW.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
Does it happen everywhere at all times? Inside, outside, day, night, fluorescent lights and mixed lighting, or does it happen sporadically?

White balance frustration is 1/2 the reason I always shoot RAW and not JPG. It alone is as big a factor as all the other reasons combined in my own thinking. So much more latitude to fix WB in RAW.

Quite so. Fluorescent lights especially can generate spurious colors that are hard to correct. The imitation light bulbs with an embedded fluorescent tube are often the worst offenders. I have one in my desk lamp at work, and it projects a disagreeable green tint on the gray walls. (Since those walls have several of my pictures on them, it's particularly annoying.) Fortunately, those bulbs are losing ground to LEDs, whose light is more pleasing to the eye and figures to be more familiar to cameras and photo editors. Canon provides a "white fluorescent" WB setting, but I think it's aimed at removing excess pink, not excess green.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements