cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV with 50mm lens

areejbashir
Contributor
Just received my Mark IV, but for some reason my 50mm lens AF (Auto Focus) won’t work. It won’t focus on the pointed area, it won’t even bleep. What could be the problem?

Thank you
29 REPLIES 29

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
OK. So follow my recommendation to reset your 5D Mark IV settings and Custom Functions.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

areejbashir
Contributor
@Jrhoffman75 the 50mm works fine on my old EF camera. I just tried it out and then remounted it on the Mark IV but it still won’t work on it.

Did you actually reset the camera as John requested?  I have heard of other cases where brand new 5D Mark IV bodies were shipped with it set for back button AF, probably done during a testing protocol before it was shipped.  If set up that way, then it won't AF when the shutter release button is pressed half way.

The only other setting I can think of within configuration that would impact AF operation would be what the camera does under the AF configuration choice of what to do when "AF is impossible or far out of focus".  I believe this option is on the fourth screen under the AF configuration tab with your 5D IV and when set to off with some lenses, the AF may not function properly to try to obtain focus. 

But resetting everything back to factory as John suggested should set both of these back to the non-problematic default settings.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you reset all the settings and put the 5D in Green Square Auto it sounds like your camera may be defective.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

areejbashir
Contributor
Thank you John for that tip, I reset the setting buts no change. But the only thing with Green Square Auto is I’m not able to set the aperture, shutter speed and iso to my liking

@areejbashir wrote:
Thank you John for that tip, I reset the setting buts no change. But the only thing with Green Square Auto is I’m not able to set the aperture, shutter speed and iso to my liking

Yes, let's test the lens by allowing the camera to adjust the settings in Green [A] Auto mode.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

areejbashir
Contributor
@rodger thank you for your help. I reset everything and made sure the “lens drive when AF impossible” is on. But still nothing. It works when it’s in Green Square Auto Mode, but that’s not convenient for me unfortunately.
Not sure what else I should do

@areejbashir wrote:
@rodger thank you for your help. I reset everything and made sure the “lens drive when AF impossible” is on. But still nothing. It works when it’s in Green Square Auto Mode, but that’s not convenient for me unfortunately.
Not sure what else I should do

If the lens works in Green [A] mode, then there is something in your camera settings causing the problems.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

areejbashir
Contributor
@Waddizzle it seems to work with the Green Auto Mode. But I need to work on Manual Mode 😕

I think we are getting confused here.

There are *two* manual modes.

Manual setting of exposure.

Manual/Auto focus.

The Manual/Auto switch on the lens has nothing to do with manual exposure. If you want Autofocus when setting manual exposure, keep the lens switch on "Auto".

Or, do you have Back Button Focus set?

Announcements