cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV with 50mm lens

areejbashir
Contributor
Just received my Mark IV, but for some reason my 50mm lens AF (Auto Focus) won’t work. It won’t focus on the pointed area, it won’t even bleep. What could be the problem?

Thank you
29 REPLIES 29

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Try pressing the AF-ON button. If it focuses then you need to clear all custom functions. Check your manual to see how.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

areejbashir
Contributor
@Barkley ahh okay! Sorry my misunderstanding, I’m very bad when it comes to technical things and everything just confusing for me.

Yes the camera has the (AF-On) button at the top right corner of the camera, right next to the view finder, if that’s what the Back Button Focus is. Okay so the focus works now if I press The (AF-On), but I do have to press it every time for it to focus on something new, is this another problem or is that how it works?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
As I posted above, go into your manual and see how to clear all custom functions. The previous owner decoupled focusing from the shutter button. It is important to clear all custom functions since you don’t know what other settings might be active.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
As I posted above, go into your manual and see how to clear all custom functions. The previous owner decoupled focusing from the shutter button. It is important to clear all custom functions since you don’t know what other settings might be active.

The Custom Controls menu is also accessible from the Quick Control Screen Menu when you press [Q} button.

4E64A0CA-5AC2-4A64-827E-D5B924E32A91.jpeg

This Custom Controls menu has its' own reset function that needs to executed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

areejbashir
Contributor
I think I’ve got! Thank you all so much for your help, really appreciate it

@areejbashir wrote:
I think I’ve got! Thank you all so much for your help, really appreciate it

Congratulations!

You bought a used camera?  For reasons that you have just experienced, it is a good idea to go meticulously go through every menu and reset it.  You want the entire camera reset back to a known state, just as it came from the factory.

[EDIT]. As you go through each menu item, if a menu item opens up to its' own sub-menu, then it probably has its' own separate reset that you need to use.  A good example is the Custom Controls menu that you seemed to have reset.

It has been rumored that if you remove the battery, close the battery door, turn on power, and then hold the shutter fully pressed for at least 10 seconds....the camera should completely reset itself, time/date and all.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

areejbashir
Contributor
Thank you!
Yes, it’s a used camera.
I’ll do all your suggestions and hopefully everything will function normally again.
Thanks

areejbashir
Contributor
Want to thank everyone for their help. Turned out the solution to my problem was a simple change in the control settings. Even after resetting it wasn’t working to how I wanted.
The solution :
Menu - Custom Function Setting ( the Orange menu) - Page 3 - Custom Controls - Shutter Butt. Half-press - and highlight the Metering and AF option !

Glad you are all set.

You have a very powerful camera - spend some time with the manual and YouTube tutorials to maximize your ability with the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

areejbashir
Contributor
Thank you John! That’s a good idea. Was such a silly problem I feel, and I think I was just overwhelmed haha.
Announcements