cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV vs 6D Mark II

PWgoTravel
Contributor

Hello,

I’m an amateur+ looking to switch to Full Frame. I’ve seen about every video on 5D Mark IV vs 6D Mark II with every opinion. 

I like features of both. I am a photographer not really into videography. I like the screen of the 6 and the newer technology, but seems like 5D is better suited for pro photography. 

Not ready to jump to mirrorless yet. 

Any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I was at this decision several years ago.  I ultimately went with the 6D2.  Really for nothing more than the articulating screen.  I had this feature on my T6s and couldn't leave it.  If you are shooting sports or action photography the 5D4 will outperform the 6D2 by a good margin.  It has the last of the best DSLR focusing system Canon ever made.  65 AF points vs 45 on the 6D2.  It also shoots at 30MP vs 26MP on the 6D2.  Dynamic Range is only a hair better on the 5D4, but you have to be seriously "peeping" to see what you can pull from the shadows comparatively.  The 6D2 is no slouch, and since I primarily shoot landscape and architecture it fit the bill for me.  Many happy memories with the 6D2.

Sports, action, BIF, racing or anything where fast focus acquisition is needed = 5D4

Portraits, landscapes, architecture, vlogging where an articulating screen is beneficial = 6D2

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, Rick! 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I faced the same choice several years ago, and went with the 6D2.  In addition to what Rick point out above, I had two main reasons for going with the 6D2.

One, Bluetooth.  The 6D2 was the only FF body with Bluetooth.

Two, AF points.  The 5D4 may have had more total AF points, the 6D2 had more cross type AF points.  The 6D2 had 27 f/8 AF points compared to 1 f/8 AF point for the 5D4.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks! 

Bluetooth and articulating screen is the biggest attraction for me. I should some sports as an aspiring pro. Perhaps 6D2 first and if I need my re performance for action, get into a 5D4 and then would have an excellent backup in the 6D2. 

One common complaint about the 6D2 has been the way the AF points seem clustered in the center of the frame.  It is true.  The AF points in the 6D2 do not cover as much of the field of view as most DSLRs, including the 5D4.

The 6D2 uses nearly the same AF system as the APS-C 80D camera body.  Those same AF points on a crop sensor cover more of the field of view in the OVF.  However, if you compare the AOV covered by the AF points between the FF 6D2 and the APS-C 80D you will see that they are arguably identical.

I think the AF system in each camera has characteristics that are superior to the other camera.  Without a doubt, the AF system in the 5D4 is faster than the 6D2.  But, both cameras have similar frame rates.  

The 5D4 has a deeper buffer, better build, and dual card slots.  When the weather is bad, I am usually not out there in it.  If I am, I will carry the 1D4, instead.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Actually the 5D Mark IV has 41 AF Points at F/8 the 6D Mark II has 27 AF Points at F/8. Also does the OP need dual card slots. If they need dual card slots the 5D Mark IV is the better choice. Also the 5D Mark IV offers 4K video over 1080p video that the 6D Mark II offers. But I think OP would be better off with the 6D Mark II. 

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I can't believe 😲 anyone would pit the 6D2 vs the 5D Mk IV unless money was the limiting factor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements