cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade advice from the 6D.

xoubie
Apprentice

Hi Everyone, I currently have a 6D which I use for haunted attraction photography and astrophotography. I'm wanting to upgrade but hoping to find a camera equally great at low light without bumping up the ISO or adding noise. Anyone have some good suggestions? Anyone have some experience they can add to help me make a better decision?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Pretty easy. Any of the new R series will be better than your 6D. Pick one.  The RP or R6 is a good starting place. There is no good reason to consider or buy a new EF series camera. R is the future.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I do agree with your point about going with an EOS R series camera if possible. But it may not be in OP's budget. So I always ask what their budget before giving them options. But you have mentioned some great options. If the R5 and R6 were available when I had to upgrade my aging EOS 40D. I would've gone with the R5 or R6 instead of the 5D Mark IV which was on sale at the time. The R and RP had worse battery when I tested them. The R5 and R6 have better battery life now with the EOS R series line. I would also add 2 more in.

• EOS R
  • EOS R5

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Hi OP, what are you exactly looking for in a new camera body. Do you have a budget in mind for a body only, body + lens (kit), lenses only or other accessories. What lenses do you currently have. Do you own a speedlite(s) since you mention low light photography. If so what speedlite(s) are you using. Are you looking to stay with with Full Frame or go APS-C. Are you looking to go mirrorless with EOS-R Series. While using your existing EF lenses adapted. Or do you want to stay with a DSLR camera. 

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... hoping to find a camera equally great at low light without bumping up the ISO ..."

Not quite understanding what you want or are after here. You know that an example setting of f4, 1/100, ISO 400 is an EV standard. No different than measuring 12 inches with a ruler and expecting another ruler to measure 12 inches differently. No matter what camera the EV setting is a standard and can't change. The ISO from camera to camera will be the same.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is your budget?  Why do you feel the need to “upgrade” the camera?  

In my mind, an “upgrade” over the 6D when it comes low noise would a 1D Series body.  The 5D Series are workhorses, but do not necessarily represent a significant improvement over the 6D series when it comes to ISO range.

I think the lightweight body of the 6D almost make it ideal for serious astrophotography.  Canon had released the 30MP EOS Ra, which was a MILC body dedicated to astrophotography, but have since discontinued it for reasons that I am not aware of.  I do not see many advantages in using an R6 over the 6D for astrophotography.  

A 1Dx Series body would almost certainly be an improvement for your “haunted house” shooting scenarios, which does not sound like a year round endeavor.  A 5D Series would definitely by more rugged than a 6D Series, but would not significantly improve on the noise performance.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements