cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

200-400 tamron lens that is compatible?

stephadkins
Apprentice

I have a Canon Rebel T3 and was wondering if there was a 200-400 tamron lens that is compatible?

Thanks Steph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank You All for helping me with my Issue, I am very happy to get support from all of you.

pris796

Jacksonville, FL

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Thank You

pris96

"Yeah, I don't know why any body would say that.  You don't hold a heavy lens by the camera anyway."

You entirely missed the point.  I'm talking about stress and torque on a camera body, which may not be up to the task.  I was simply trying to be helpful.

Some people do not consider the weight of a super telephoto lens, most especially if it is their first time buying one.  Neither do they know how to hold a heavy lens/camera combo. 

I have to question the robustness of a T3 body's lens mount with a 150-600mm.  Would it work?  Sure, no problem.  The user just needs to be aware of the high amounts of torque that can develop with a big lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was looking for Lens that I can have a greater zoom. Please see attached picture, I want to take a better picture next time with these quys cllimbing Devils Tower. Picture taken with 75-300.

pris796

VACATION MT RUSHMORE 2015 133.JPG

VACATION MT RUSHMORE 2015 132.JPG

Then you need a big, heavy lens.

That said, almost *no* lens will get you what you want. The magnification is proportional to the focal length, to going from 300 to 600 will only double the size of the climbers.

Ok, Thank You.

pris796

Drone.  DJI.  Beware of models that don't weigh much, because the wind blows them around like dry leaves.  You should be able to find one with a HD camera for less than the cost of a 150-600mm lens.

A 600mm lens on a 35mm or FF, DSLR is approx.12x.  It would be roughly 19x on your T3.  You can compare this to a rifle telescope or your binoculars.

You can put a 1.4x tele extender on it, too.  But 600mm on a T3 will be a challenge to hand hold and with an extender it mat be near impossible to get sharp results. Not because of weight but because of tele power.  A monopod could go a long way to improving your chances.

Again there is no issue using a Sigma 150-600mm C or a Tamron 150-600mm on a Rebel. Just don't try and carry the combo by the camera.  I doubt you could anyway!

Next you want to post edit your shots.  That will also improve your odds, too.

As a side note because it was mentioned, the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens for Canon is a great deal right now if you can still find a dealer with one.  Deep discounts.  Otherwise it is a good deal on the used market.  I have had three of these and the worst one was decent.  The third, my last one, is excellent.

Lastly there is a crop of 400mm prime, pre-set lenses out there.  They are cheap, $100 bucks, and very light.  They are decent, I have had several of them under the various brand names. I have a Sprialtone and Soligor right now. A 400mm would yeild approx. 8x on a FF.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

In bright sunlight, an 800 mm f/11 Cat, might work OK too. Though no autofocus.

"A 600mm lens on a 35mm or FF, DSLR is approx.12x.  It would be roughly 19x on your T3.  You can compare this to a rifle telescope or your binoculars.

You can put a 1.4x tele extender on it, too.  But 600mm on a T3 will be a challenge to hand hold and with an extender it mat be near impossible to get sharp results. Not because of weight but because of tele power.  A monopod could go a long way to improving your chances.

Again there is no issue using a Sigma 150-600mm C or a Tamron 150-600mm on a Rebel."

If you're going to stay on the ground, then you're going to need a lot of magnification, like Ernie says.  You may want to consider alternate solutions besides a high powered DSLR zoom.  Spotting scopes and telescopes are options, too.  Many scopes come with their own tripod, but you will likely need accessories to attach a camera. 

A monopod takes practice to master, and use well, especially with a big lens pointed up in the air.  Ernie's right, though.  Some form of camera support would be highly useful.  I think a robust tripod may work better than a monopod.  I'm talking about a professional grade tripod, which can support in excess of 20 pounds. 

@Waddizzle wrote:

If you're going to stay on the ground, then you're going to need a lot of magnification, like Ernie says.  You may want to consider alternate solutions besides a high powered DSLR zoom.  Spotting scopes and telescopes are options, too.  Many scopes come with their own tripod, but you will likely need accessories to attach a camera. 

A monopod takes practice to master, and use well, especially with a big lens pointed up in the air.  Ernie's right, though.  Some form of camera support would be highly useful.  I think a robust tripod may work better than a monopod.  I'm talking about a professional grade tripod, which can support in excess of 20 pounds. 

And in choosing a tripod, you face a built-in dilemma. You want one that is light, strong, and affordable. You can have any two of those qualities, but not all three. So based on the intended use, you have to decide which two are most important to you. From what you've told us so far, "strong" pretty well has to be one of them. Where you set the bar between the other two depends on how far you expect to have to carry it and what your budget is.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements