cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is 85mm so used for portraits?

david362
Apprentice

Hey everyone, another newbie question here: why is 85mm so popular for portrait photography? I personally prefer the look of 50mm over 85mm even for portraits, but maybe I’m missing something?

The only thing I can think is that for tight headshots you have to move quite close with a 50mm (potentially uncomfortably close if the the subject doesn’t know you).

thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The physical distance to your subject can be a concern, but shorter focal lengths such as 50mm, 35mm, etc. will exaggerate facial features when doing headshots.

A good thing to try is to check out images of various focal lengths to see if you have a preference.  Portrait lenses are typcially in the range of 70mm to 200mm.  Some photographers love the look of a 200mm.  Others swear by 85mm.  When I did comparison testing, I preferred the look of 135mm so ultimately use that for portraits.  

Adjusting for the same framing, look at the drastic difference here between a 50mm and 135mm lens on a 5D Mark IV:

50mm (left), 135mm (right)50mm (left), 135mm (right)

Note: If you're using a crop-sensor camera, the distortions when using smaller focal length lenses may be lessened since you'd be at a further distance than if using those lenses on a full frame camera.  Still though, longer focal lengths are typically best.

Finally, this is not a rule.  If you specifically want to use such distortions/exaggeration of features for creative purposes, you can definitely do that.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you using an APS-C body?  The portrait lens favorite of 85mm from film days is a close field of view for 50mm on APS-C. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

As noted above, there isn't a one size fits all for every situation and photographer so although you will develop a favorite lens for portraits, don't limit yourself to something that doesn't fit the situation just because some imbecile Youtube influencer said so.

I have used my EF 200 f2 often for senior shots, I love the look it creates but it puts you at some distance from the subject which can be a problem.  As Ricky noted, the EF 135 f2 is another great choice and I have used this one often, my bias towards the EF 200 is because it is IS equipped which comes in handy for inside shots with students who spent much of their HS years in drama or the musical arts.  But I generally have the 70-200 f2.8 on a second body because you never know when you will need the quick versatility of this handy "zoom" range.

I much prefer sports to still photography but since I have done a little I wanted to be passably good at it.  One of the things I spent time practicing/getting a feel for was experimenting with a dummy using different aperture, distance to subject, and distance from subject to background combinations to develop a good feel for creating desirable composition based upon the situation.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ergas
Contributor

I didn't loved 50mm on crop body and it is similar angle of view as 85mm on full frame. But as I have started to shoot portraits on FF, 85mm 1.4 quickly became the first choice. I love the look and feel that this lens gives to portraits. Not only close up, you can check on my @ergas_photography, 90% I shoot with 85mm. There are some wide shoots with 35mm 1.4. I love also 50mm 1.2 and 135mm f2, but use them for very few shoots compared to 85 1.4. Could not answer you why, shoots with 85mm do have something that makes difference. Also my models usually prefer shoots with 85 1.4. It is simply a personal preference.

The depth of field is a property of the focal length and distance to subject. Even though the field of view changes from FF to crop the depth of field doesn't.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The depth of field is a property of the focal length and distance to subject. Even though the field of view changes from FF to crop the depth of field doesn't."

This needs to be etched into your brain. Everyone's brain.

"The only thing I can think is that for tight headshots you have to move quite close with a 50mm (potentially uncomfortably close if the the subject doesn’t know you)."

Doesn't really matter if the subject knows you or not. No one likes to have a camera stuck right up in their face. The distance to subject is the single and only reason why certain lenses are considered "portrait" lenses. They make the bokeh easier to get nice again because of the distance from subject so they have become a necessity for quite some time now. In the studio you can only back so far before you bump into a wall!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW as an addendum my goto "portrait" lens on my 1DX is the ef 70-200mm f2.8L zoom lens. On my Rebels I used the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 zoom. It is a fantastic lens which is no longer produced but you can find them used. It makes a wonderful portrait lens on a cropper.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements