cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Lens should I buy for property photos?

Munari
Enthusiast

Hi. I need to take some photos of several homes that require a full width frontal of the home; from the left property side to the right property boundary.  I want to be in the front of the home on the street,   Would a Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM be a good lens for my EOS R ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Without being there we can't easily provide a definitive solution.  As I see it, you have two choices here.  You can go for a wider lens, such as the 16mm, or you can do an stitched image, or panorama shot, where you mount the camera on a tripod or on some steady support, set up the exposure and focus in manual mode to get that right.  Aim to, say, the left and take a shot, then rotate the camera to the right with about 1/3 overlap and take another shot.

There is a Panorama mode on the EOS R.  Refer to  your manual and read up on how to use it.  That way you can get your shots without having to fork out on a lens and the images will have more detail.
The following video is a general intro to shooting a panorama with a Canon camera:

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What lens did you get with the camera? Any standard kit type lens 24-?mm or  18-?mm should do the job nicely.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi I have a 24mm, however i can't get far enough back from the hom to take the photo due to the short with of the adjacent street, so i thought a 16mm might work.  Any thoughts?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Without being there we can't easily provide a definitive solution.  As I see it, you have two choices here.  You can go for a wider lens, such as the 16mm, or you can do an stitched image, or panorama shot, where you mount the camera on a tripod or on some steady support, set up the exposure and focus in manual mode to get that right.  Aim to, say, the left and take a shot, then rotate the camera to the right with about 1/3 overlap and take another shot.

There is a Panorama mode on the EOS R.  Refer to  your manual and read up on how to use it.  That way you can get your shots without having to fork out on a lens and the images will have more detail.
The following video is a general intro to shooting a panorama with a Canon camera:

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.   The panorama feature I was not aware of. I will try it this morning. I do recall a Stich program I had many years ago that stitched photo together, but I think the built in feature will work the best..

I followed the procedure and attached is the photo.house full panoama ver 1f-1.jpeg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You just described what a WA lens is. When you can't move far enough back you need a wider FL such as a 16mm in this case which should do the trick for you. You see any lens is a WA lens if you can get far enough back. Even a 600mm super tele is a WA lens if you are shooting the Moon!

BTW. not on topic but this same parameter holds true for the so called 'portrait' lens. All depends on how close or far you are from subject.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements