cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with telephoto lens selection for EOS Rebel T7

JahZilla
Apprentice

Hello all, I am new to the community. 

I am looking at buying my first DSLR camera. Upgrading from iphone (ha ha). I may just go for an EOS T7. I have some good travel coming up (Machu Piccu, Africa, Indonesia) so I would like to be able to get some nice photos and want to make sure I have plenty of zoom. I see bundles at around $800 with a 50-300 and a 500mm preset telephoto. I don't know what preset means. Does that mean it is NOT a zoom? Is it static at 500mm? I don't think I would like that.  I will be taking surfing photos and wildlife photos from a long distance and I don't think the 50-300mm will be enough. Any help would be appreciated. It is fine if you would like to refer me to other sources for education on this. 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Moving from a cell phone to a dedicated camera is not a simple experience. Cell phones do most of the thinking for you, but a dedicated camera, while it has automated modes, demands some knowledge of metering of light intensity and the control of that via the 'holy trinity' of Shutter speed (to control movement of the camera or subject), Aperture (to control how much is in focus), and ISO (to control the level of sensitivity of the sensor to light). This is a learning curve that is not to be ignored if you are doing something like a lifetime trip. For a start, I would recommend watching the following sets of videos:
Canon Training Articles - Tips & Tricks | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Learn Photography [Full Course] by Australian Geographic Photographer Chris Bray - YouTube

As far as how to figure out what gear you need, please read the following and consider the questions it poses.
https://1drv.ms/w/s!Au9RK1jLnjMSjnVnnvAZwgA56KSL?e=tTO7QZ
it will take you to a read-only Word Document on a shared drive.

Coming back to us with that information - in particular, what will you produce?  What are you prepared to carry?   
What you produce has huge impact.  If what you want to produce is for social media and digital display, with the odd moderate-sized print you can get away with much more compact gear. 
Portability: apart from the weight and bulk for you as you hike etc., there are often significant restrictions on what can be carried onto aircraft, and you don't want to risk your gear by checking it in.  So, do your research on what are the limitations.

Bundles of gear that offer lenses of the focal range you suggest are dubious, to say the least.  In the camera world you get what you pay for.

Finally, moving from a cell phone to a dedicated camera offers the benefit of much larger files that can render excellent images and you will have the potential to use specific optics for various types of images.   Wide angle for scenery, 'normal to moderate telephoto for events and people, long telephoto for wildlife - the longer the better.

The Camera Body: So, first off, I would not start off with a T7, as a beginner with no investment in legacy gear, I strongly suggest you consider one of the R-series Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (MILCs).  DSLRs are on life-support and have not had any investment for about 5 years the R platform of MILCs is the present and future.  For travel, something like the R10 would give you much better performance across a range of features, from sensor performance, focus and eye/face tracking - which is significant for sharp photos of people and animals.

As to lenses, try to stick to two lenses: a general-purpose lens for landscape and events, and a telephoto lens.   Note that when considering the focal lengths of lenses, their actual performance on an APS-C camera (like the R7, R10, R50 and R100) will be changed.  I will put their actual performance in brackets beside the quoted specs: 

Consider the RF-S 18-150mm IS STM (29-240mm) and the RF 100-400 IS USM (160-640mm). These two, relatively light and compact lenses will give you a massive focal range and are generally regarded as good optics. You want a good camera bag that will take both, and preferably one you can take everywhere - something like a Think Tank courier bag is worth considering-  it is a place to put all your critical items - wallet, documents, etc.

There are also other things to consider:
Memory cards: get FULL-SIZE SD cards, never micro-SD, as the latter to not work reliably with cameras. Get trusted brands like SanDisk, Lexar and Prograde from reputable dealers and not off the web - there are lots of counterfeits out there.  Get multiple moderate size cards - <64G cards to provide redundancy.
Batteries: You want several batteries and the means to charge them off the camera. Canon chargers will work with multiple voltages so you can travel with a charger. OEM batteries are recommended, but I also use SmallRig and they work well too, and are cheaper.
Backup Drive: get a drive that will connect to your camera via USB and download your images to that on a daily basis then Format the cards clean on the camera - don't delete files, that causes long-term corruption risks.

Generally Advice for travel:
DO YOUR RESEARCH into the places you will visit: laws that may effect you, being aware of security risks will hopefully keep you safe, and you will get far more out of the experience by studying the terrain, customs and cultures of the places you visit. Try to learn a few words of the language of the places you will visit - it shows respect if you can say 'hello', 'please' and 'thank you', or 'do you speak English' 'where are the toilets' in their language.
Be aware that photography of people in many places may not be welcome. If you want to photograph people, ASK and show them the result - always treat people and animals with respect.

As far as wildlife goes that is critical - you will be able to anticipate behaviour to get a great shot,  and will see warning signs that animals are upset by your presence - so be prepared to back off. 
Why that Instagram Moment can Kill You - Canon Community

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Trevor! This is a wealth of information. I don't mind doing some reading and watching training videos. I realize now I also should have said that I have used SLR cameras back in the film days using f stop, speed and iso adjustments, although I was not great at it. But I am familiar with the concepts. I appreciate the comment about getting mirrorless, I have seen others mention that they are the future. So I will look into that carefully. I will read your response again and look into the resources you provided. Then I will check back in with any further questions. Thanks again for the thorough response!

Announcements